Police appeal for witnesses following Royston church fire
- Credit: Archant
Police are appealing for information and witnesses after a suspected arson at St John the Baptist Church in Royston during the early hours of this morning.
Officers were called by the fire service shortly after 3.45am today, responding to reports of a fire at St John the Baptist Church in Melbourn Street.
Investigations are now being carried out to establish the circumstances surrounding the fire.
No one was hurt during the incident.
Dt Insp Jason Keane said: “Understandably, this incident has caused a great deal of upset in the local community.
You may also want to watch:
“Our investigations are continuing alongside our colleagues at Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, but we are treating the incident as suspicious.
“I am appealing for anyone with information about the fire, or events leading up to it, to please come forward.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 5 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 6 Extra Car Park Panto date added for IWM Duxford
- 7 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 8 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
- 9 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 10 Save pennies and the planet - why you should go along to Sustain-Ability event
“Did you witness any suspicious activity in the area or around the church itself? Any information could greatly assist our enquiries.”
Anyone with information should contact the non-emergency number 101, quoting ISR 143 of December 9. You can also report information online at www.herts.police.uk/Report.
Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.