Police appeal for witnesses following Royston church fire
- Credit: Archant
Police are appealing for information and witnesses after a suspected arson at St John the Baptist Church in Royston during the early hours of this morning.
Officers were called by the fire service shortly after 3.45am today, responding to reports of a fire at St John the Baptist Church in Melbourn Street.
Investigations are now being carried out to establish the circumstances surrounding the fire.
No one was hurt during the incident.
Dt Insp Jason Keane said: “Understandably, this incident has caused a great deal of upset in the local community.
“Our investigations are continuing alongside our colleagues at Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, but we are treating the incident as suspicious.
“I am appealing for anyone with information about the fire, or events leading up to it, to please come forward.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 3 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 4 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 5 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 6 Royston children encouraged to write to the Queen
- 7 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 8 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 9 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 10 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
“Did you witness any suspicious activity in the area or around the church itself? Any information could greatly assist our enquiries.”
Anyone with information should contact the non-emergency number 101, quoting ISR 143 of December 9. You can also report information online at www.herts.police.uk/Report.
Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.