Second witness appeal after devastating Royston church fire
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Police have issued another appeal for witnesses following the devastating blaze at a Royston church yesterday.
Officers were called by Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service shortly after 3.45am yesterday to advise they were responding to reports of a fire at St John the Baptist Church in Melbourn Street.
Initial enquiries suggested that the fire was a result of arson, however the cause of the fire is not yet known and is subject of an ongoing investigation by officers and the fire service.
Detective Inspector Mike Keane said: “Thankfully nobody was hurt during the incident, but the church is of great significance to the local community.
“It is devastating to see damage caused to such a historic building and I would like to reassure the community that we are doing all we can, with assistance from our colleagues at Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, to find out the cause of the fire in what is a difficult working environment.
You may also want to watch:
“Anyone with information linked to this incident, or any witnesses, should get in touch with us on the non-emergency number 101, quoting ISR 143 of December 9.
“Any information you have, no matter how small it might seem, could prove to be significant to the investigation.”
• You can also report information online at https://www.herts.police.uk/Report.
Alternatively, you can stay 100 per cent anonymous by contacting the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via their untraceable online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org. In over 30 years, Crimestoppers charity as always kept its promise of anonymity to everyone who contacts them.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe