Firefighters tackle huge Royston church fire
- Credit: Archant
A large fire at a St John the Baptist Church in Royston broke out during the early hours of this morning.
Six appliances from the Herts Fire and Rescue team were sent to tackle the blaze, and police were also called to the scene.
Melbourn Road and the High Street have been closed by officers.
A police spokeswoman said: “Officers were called at 3.47am today by the fire service to reports of a fire at St John The Baptist Church in Melbourn Road, Royston.
“Police are assisting with road closures, including the High Street, while firefighters deal with the incident.
You may also want to watch:
“Emergency services are expected to be at the scene for many hours and we’re advising people to avoid the area.“
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 4 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 5 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab