Firefighters tackle huge Royston church fire
- Credit: Archant
A large fire at a St John the Baptist Church in Royston broke out during the early hours of this morning.
Six appliances from the Herts Fire and Rescue team were sent to tackle the blaze, and police were also called to the scene.
Melbourn Road and the High Street have been closed by officers.
A police spokeswoman said: “Officers were called at 3.47am today by the fire service to reports of a fire at St John The Baptist Church in Melbourn Road, Royston.
“Police are assisting with road closures, including the High Street, while firefighters deal with the incident.
You may also want to watch:
“Emergency services are expected to be at the scene for many hours and we’re advising people to avoid the area.“
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 7 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 8 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 9 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire