Firefighters tackle huge Royston church fire
- Credit: Archant
A large fire at a St John the Baptist Church in Royston broke out during the early hours of this morning.
Six appliances from the Herts Fire and Rescue team were sent to tackle the blaze, and police were also called to the scene.
Melbourn Road and the High Street have been closed by officers.
A police spokeswoman said: “Officers were called at 3.47am today by the fire service to reports of a fire at St John The Baptist Church in Melbourn Road, Royston.
“Police are assisting with road closures, including the High Street, while firefighters deal with the incident.
You may also want to watch:
“Emergency services are expected to be at the scene for many hours and we’re advising people to avoid the area.“
- 1 Melbourn Post Office reopens in new location
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Litlington's Josh ploughs into top spot with competition win
- 4 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 5 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 6 History Society unveils new town heritage board
- 7 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 8 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?