Royston carers invited to learn about new support service
- Credit: Archant
Carers in Royston and surrounding villages will soon have the benefit of a new support service, thanks to lottery funding.
Charity Carers in Hertfordshire is to launch the Carer Support Hub at Royston Town Hall and the group is the last being launched as part of a lottery funded project.
Unpaid carers – someone looking after a relative, friend or neighbour that is elderly, ill or disabled – are invited to an information and support event to find out what help is available for them and how they could get involved in a hub.
At the session, carers will be able to enjoy a gentle, chair based yoga and relaxation session led by a yoga teacher. There will also be a chance to discuss what support they would find useful from a hub.
Caring communities Alex Daar, projects officer at charity Carers in Hertfordshire, explained: “Hubs are run by volunteers for carers with support from Carers in Hertfordshire.
“They give carers the chance to meet up and socialise, share views, and find out what help is available locally. Hubs meet regularly and provide carers with an opportunity to keep updated on issues and services affecting them.”
The Royston hub is the sixteenth and final hub being set up through Carers in Hertfordshire’s Caring Communities Project thanks to a Big Lottery Fund grant.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
Other hubs include Buntingford, Ware, Stevenage and Hoddesdon.
Carers in Hertfordshire is the leading countywide charity for unpaid family carers looking after others due to illness, frailty, mental health need, disability or substance misuse.
The charity was formed in 1995 by carers to give advice, information and support, and their mission is to “make carers count by giving them a powerful voice in society and choice in their caring role”.
The Royston first hub event will take place on Thursday, November 8, at Royston Town Hall in Melbourn Street, from 10.30am to 1.30pm.
To book a place email email@example.com or call 01992 586969.
Also get in touch if you are a carer and cannot make it to the event but are interested in learning more about the support available for you or if you want to get involved in the hub.
Alternatively, visit www.carersinherts.org.uk