Royston British Legion holds awards night
THE ROYSTON branch of the Royal British Legion honoured those that have supported it at a special presentation evening last week.
Twenty individuals and organisations were given awards for their support of the Legion on Friday evening at its Mill Road headquarters.
Branch chairman Chris Murphy said: “Many people and organisations from the town have supported the Legion and have not received any recognition for their contributions.
“I am acutely aware that although we here at the Legion are very busy ourselves, many of the activities and events that we conduct throughout the year are supported in many different ways by the community.
“This could be the provision of a PA system at the annual Remembrance service, or the support from the mayor and local and district councillors, or the tradesman and other individuals who have helped with phase one of the refurbishment of our headquarters.”
You may also want to watch:
Among those honoured were Andy Rowe, a Royston-based carpenter who helped with the refurbishment of the hall last year, vicar Les Harman of Royston Parish Church who leads Remembrance services, and town mayor Cllr Martin Beaver who made the Legion one of his charities for his tenure.
Cllr Beaver said: “I am very thankful and proud to receive this totally unexpected award.
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 5 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 10 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
“The Royston Branch of the Royal British Legion has been helping servicepeople past and present for 90 years, and although their needs have changed over that time, its work is as vital as ever.”
There was also an award for The Crow, for our coverage of the Legion’s events throughout the years.
Councillor Tony Hunter
Councillor Fiona Hill
Councillor Martin Beaver, who made the RBL one of his chosen charities
Andy Rowe - Carpenter
Charlie Andrews - long-standing Legion bingo caller
Les Harman - Vicar at Royston Parish Church
Les Baker - former editor of the Royston Crow
Shaun Sillet - Legion member
Dave Gobell - former Legion branch trustee
Pam Davis - women’s section of the Legion
Sylvia Hall - long-standing member of the Legion
Maureen Duprez - long-standing member of the Legion
Ron Beech - long-standing supporter of the Legion
Ron Smith - Far East prisoner of war veteran
Royston Town Band
2484 Sqn. Air Training Corps Bassingbourn
The Brian Racher Trust
The Royston Crow
Mr Ian Henderson
Mrs Shirley Winter