Royston big top bursting with excitement as circus celebrates 40 years on the road
- Credit: Archant
A big top was bursting with excitement in Royston at the weekend as a circus celebrated its 40th year on the road.
The crowds were entertained with a jam-packed programme at Therfield Heath on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, which included trapeze acts, high wire performers and clowns.
Jonn Lawson’s Circus was founded in 1974 with John and his wife, Vonni, touring the country and appearing at galas and festivals.
Since John’s death in 1985, the troupe have been under the management of Vonni, his son Niven, and daughter Beth, who were all at the Royston displays, under the guidance of Beth’s husband, ringmaster Attila Endresz.
Clive Porter, who attended the event on Saturday, said: “Natalia Tsytko’s bubble act was fabulous and Nimmo the clown had the audience in stitches. Also celebrating a birthday, was three-year-old Missy Wellington from Buntingford, who was treated to an exciting visit to the circus ring.”
You may also want to watch:
The show was performed five times over the weekend.
- 1 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 2 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 5 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 6 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 7 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 8 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 9 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 10 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation