Royston-based YOPEY looking for fresh crop of inspiring role models
- Credit: Archant
A scheme which recognises inspiring young people which was first established in Royston and has since spread to 12 English counties and London has entered its 10th year, and is seeking out a fresh crop of inspiring role models.
The Young People of the Year awards, backed by Mitsubishi Electric and also sponsored by North Hertfordshire Homes, offer £2,000 in prize money for young winners to share with the community, as well as public recognition for their often unsung efforts.
Typical entries include fundraisers, young carers, club leaders, volunteers on projects at home or abroad and young leaders who pass on academic or sporting skills.
This year’s awards are now is open to young people aged from 10 to 25 who either live, work or study in the county.
Yopey founder Tony Gearing said: “There are many young people in Hertfordshire doing wonderful things for others but they live in the shadow of a well-publicised anti-social minority.
You may also want to watch:
“We need to give young people the respect they deserve and set up the best as positive role models for others.”
Schools, youth organisations, churches and charities across Herts are urged to nominate their young stars, and young people can even nominate themselves.
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 5 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 10 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
Find out full details at yopey.org.