Rotary club shelter boxes head to Haiti
FOUR shelter boxes paid for by kind Roystonians have arrived on the crisis-hit island of Haiti. As reported in The Crow last week, the boxes were paid for by members of the Royston Rotary Club, and have now arrived on the island, which is suffering the af
FOUR shelter boxes paid for by kind Roystonians have arrived on the crisis-hit island of Haiti.
As reported in The Crow last week, the boxes were paid for by members of the Royston Rotary Club, and have now arrived on the island, which is suffering the after effects of two major earthquakes.
The boxes each contain a ten-man tent, together with essential supplies for survivors of the quake.
Chris Hardy, from the Royston Rotary Club, said: "We held a Quiz night at Meridian School on 17h January where, through the generosity of the quizzers, we raised the cost of a box.
You may also want to watch:
"The Club itself has a special Disaster Fund for such events that supplied two boxes. A friend of a Rotarian has generously donated a box, so that the cost of the four boxes has been found."
The Rotary Club would be happy to send further boxes to Haiti if they receive enough donations. Anyone who would like to contribute can contact Mr Hardy on 01763 247031.
- 1 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 2 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 7 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 8 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
Other Crow Country residents are doing their bit to help Haiti, with both Greneway School and Tannery Drift School holding non-uniform days this Friday to raise funds.
Anyone wishing to make a donation directly to the aid effort in Haiti can do so via http://www.dec.org.uk.