River of fears
RESIDENTS fear that an accident could take place if fencing alongside the river Rib is not repaired properly. A section of the railings, beside the path at the end of Union Terrace, Buntingford, (above) has been broken since before Christmas. Temporary fe
RESIDENTS fear that an accident could take place if fencing alongside the river Rib is not repaired properly.
A section of the railings, beside the path at the end of Union Terrace, Buntingford, (above) has been broken since before Christmas.
Temporary fencing has been erected several times, but has fallen down on each occasion.
Teresa Wurr, who walks along the path every day, said: "It's becoming quite dangerous down there.
You may also want to watch:
"They keep putting these panels up, but then they get blown over by the wind or pushed into the river.
"Last time the fence was knocked down, there were metal poles sticking up out of the river. If anyone fell in they could hurt themselves badly."
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
Other residents also raised concerns at the Buntingford Community Voice meeting on Monday.
Buntingford town clerk Jill Jones said: "As far as I know the temporary fence has had to be replaced at least twice so far."
The Environment Agency is responsible for the upkeep of the fence and the river.
A spokesman said: "The temporary fence has been re-installed this morning (Wednesday) and there are plans to begin construction of a permanent fence within an estimated period of 8-10 weeks.
"The fence is monitored on a weekly basis or as required when complaints are received from residents.