River of fears
RESIDENTS fear that an accident could take place if fencing alongside the river Rib is not repaired properly. A section of the railings, beside the path at the end of Union Terrace, Buntingford, (above) has been broken since before Christmas. Temporary fe
RESIDENTS fear that an accident could take place if fencing alongside the river Rib is not repaired properly.
A section of the railings, beside the path at the end of Union Terrace, Buntingford, (above) has been broken since before Christmas.
Temporary fencing has been erected several times, but has fallen down on each occasion.
Teresa Wurr, who walks along the path every day, said: "It's becoming quite dangerous down there.
"They keep putting these panels up, but then they get blown over by the wind or pushed into the river.
"Last time the fence was knocked down, there were metal poles sticking up out of the river. If anyone fell in they could hurt themselves badly."
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 3 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 4 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 5 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 6 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
Other residents also raised concerns at the Buntingford Community Voice meeting on Monday.
Buntingford town clerk Jill Jones said: "As far as I know the temporary fence has had to be replaced at least twice so far."
The Environment Agency is responsible for the upkeep of the fence and the river.
A spokesman said: "The temporary fence has been re-installed this morning (Wednesday) and there are plans to begin construction of a permanent fence within an estimated period of 8-10 weeks.
"The fence is monitored on a weekly basis or as required when complaints are received from residents.