Restored stone looks miles better
AN old milestone outside St Peter s Church in Buntingford has been restored. The stone, at least 100 years old, has a new £250 copper fascia which was produced by Buntingford Civic Society after two years work. A picture of the original plaque was found
AN old milestone outside St Peter's Church in Buntingford has been restored.
The stone, at least 100 years old, has a new £250 copper fascia which was produced by Buntingford Civic Society after two years work.
A picture of the original plaque was found in the Hertfordshire county records, but the society had to go through archival material to be exact on the wording and make sure it did not have an impact on the fabric of the church.
Society secretary Joyce Jackson said: "Now that it has been restored it looks very nice. It adds something to that part of the town and is an important part of our heritage."
You may also want to watch:
There are 110 milestones remaining in Hertfordshire.
Society chairman Derek Cooper said: "As a group we're concerned with restoring artefacts because otherwise they will disappear eventually."
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Council leader calls for 'kind and courteous' queuing for fuel
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- Restoring a town sign outside Lloyds Chemist in Market Hill, Buntingford, could be the society's next project.