Restored stone looks miles better
AN old milestone outside St Peter s Church in Buntingford has been restored. The stone, at least 100 years old, has a new £250 copper fascia which was produced by Buntingford Civic Society after two years work. A picture of the original plaque was found
AN old milestone outside St Peter's Church in Buntingford has been restored.
The stone, at least 100 years old, has a new £250 copper fascia which was produced by Buntingford Civic Society after two years work.
A picture of the original plaque was found in the Hertfordshire county records, but the society had to go through archival material to be exact on the wording and make sure it did not have an impact on the fabric of the church.
Society secretary Joyce Jackson said: "Now that it has been restored it looks very nice. It adds something to that part of the town and is an important part of our heritage."
You may also want to watch:
There are 110 milestones remaining in Hertfordshire.
Society chairman Derek Cooper said: "As a group we're concerned with restoring artefacts because otherwise they will disappear eventually."
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 3 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 10 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- Restoring a town sign outside Lloyds Chemist in Market Hill, Buntingford, could be the society's next project.