Restaurant is safe’ – but 500 company jobs are cut
A ROADSIDE restaurant in Royston is not under threat, despite the closure of 37 of the company s other branches across the country. The Little Chef has axed 500 staff but a spokeswoman for the chain told The Crow that the branch in Baldock Road was safe
A ROADSIDE restaurant in Royston is not under threat, despite the closure of 37 of the company's other branches across the country.
The Little Chef has axed 500 staff but a spokeswoman for the chain told The Crow that the branch in Baldock Road was 'safe'.
The branch was bought by private equity firm RCAPITAL along with 193 of Little Chef's 230 restaurants across the country - saving more than 3,500 jobs.
Former owner and chief executive Simon Heath, who bought the business for £52million in October 2005 will continue to run the operation.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "This business has been through incredibly tough times in recent years.
"But one thing we do know from our existing customers and the media is that Little Chef is a much-loved brand.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 6 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 9 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 10 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
"RCapital shares our belief in turning this business around, and recognises that there is enormous potential for it to succeed."
RCAPITAL is thought to have paid just £10million for the business.
- Previously there has been an application to develop the Royston site as a hotel.
Permission was granted on April 28 2003 for a 36- bedroom motel at the site. The application expires in 2008.