Residents out in force to view homes plan

PUBLISHED: 13:23 24 October 2012

Robin Webb, Pat Webb and Jonathan Ling, Deputy Mayor

Robin Webb, Pat Webb and Jonathan Ling, Deputy Mayor

Archant

MORE than 600 people attended a public exhibtion on plans to build 160 new houses on farmland.

The event, organised by Buntingford Action for Responsible Development (BARD), took place at Benson Hall in Buntingford on Saturday.

It gave local people another chance to have a look at proposals which would see up to 160 homes built on fields adjacent to Hare Street Road, just outside Buntingford.

Harry Brady, from BARD, said: “We had a counter on the door and the total attendance was 645 people, which was more than we had dared to hope for and very encouraging.

“More than 600 letters to East Herts council were signed and pretty much everyone signed the petition as well, taking us well over 1,000 signatures.

“There were also a number of town and district councillors there, which was good to see.”

Taylor Wimpey submitted a planning application to build the houses earlier this year through its agents DLP planning. Residents have until November 8 to make their views on the scheme known to East Herts District Council.

DLP, which held a formal consultation event in April, said in its planning application that the development would “widen the choice of high-quality homes” available in Buntingford, as well as boosting the local economy and creating jobs.

But Neil Grieg, chairman of BARD, said: “National and district planning policies exist to meet the needs of communities living in towns like Buntingford.

“But we don’t need the houses and building on this land conflicts with our Local Plan – it’s in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“We urge the district council to refuse the Taylor Wimpey application and our town council to come out fighting against it.”

A link to the planning application can be found on the BARD website www.bard-group.org.uk

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Royston Crow

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists