Residents left in the dark over plans for solar farm
- Credit: Archant
Councillors have criticised the lack of publicity surrounding a consultation event for another solar farm planned for Crow country.
The solar photovoltaic farm would be built at Bury Lane Farm near Meldreth and Melbourn, and a public exhibition was held last Thursday at the community rooms in Elin Way, Meldreth.
However, local councillors are calling for another exhibition to be staged before a planning application is submitted.
Cllr Steve Hawkins, chairman of Meldreth Parish Council, said: “None of the councillors were aware of the exhibition until last week, the first I heard of it was when someone told me there was an advert in The Crow.
“We were disappointed that not many people were able to attend the exhibition. We will consider the merits of the solar farm when a planning application is submitted.”
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn county councillor Susan van de Ven felt she was also left in the dark about the event.
She said: “There should have been more publicity, and I would be concerned if that was the only public consultation they have planned. I would ask for another exhibition to be held.
- 1 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 2 New boxing and Muay Thai classes aim to help boost post-lockdown mood
- 3 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 4 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 5 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 6 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 7 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 8 Church foodbank receives donation to help families in need
- 9 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 10 Community comes together for Together We Stand Against Racism event
“Whenever there’s a question about alternative energy raised we need to keep an open mind and look at the available options closely.”
Melbourn Parish Council would like to see an event held in the village due to the effect construction of the farm could have on nearby residents.
Cllr Peter Simmonett said: “We were hoping the exhibition would be in Melbourn, as the application has been discussed at parish council and some concerns have been raised.
“I know people are worried about the amount of extra traffic there would be on the roads during construction.”
The Crow contacted Bury Lane Farm but the business was unable to comment at the time of going to press.