Residents left in the dark over plans for solar farm
- Credit: Archant
Councillors have criticised the lack of publicity surrounding a consultation event for another solar farm planned for Crow country.
The solar photovoltaic farm would be built at Bury Lane Farm near Meldreth and Melbourn, and a public exhibition was held last Thursday at the community rooms in Elin Way, Meldreth.
However, local councillors are calling for another exhibition to be staged before a planning application is submitted.
Cllr Steve Hawkins, chairman of Meldreth Parish Council, said: “None of the councillors were aware of the exhibition until last week, the first I heard of it was when someone told me there was an advert in The Crow.
“We were disappointed that not many people were able to attend the exhibition. We will consider the merits of the solar farm when a planning application is submitted.”
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn county councillor Susan van de Ven felt she was also left in the dark about the event.
She said: “There should have been more publicity, and I would be concerned if that was the only public consultation they have planned. I would ask for another exhibition to be held.
- 1 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 2 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 3 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
- 4 Council tax set to rise in South Cambs to help support frontline services
- 5 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
- 6 Royston man celebrates 100th birthday after recovering from COVID-19
- 7 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
- 8 Send us photos of your exotic pets!
- 9 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 10 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
“Whenever there’s a question about alternative energy raised we need to keep an open mind and look at the available options closely.”
Melbourn Parish Council would like to see an event held in the village due to the effect construction of the farm could have on nearby residents.
Cllr Peter Simmonett said: “We were hoping the exhibition would be in Melbourn, as the application has been discussed at parish council and some concerns have been raised.
“I know people are worried about the amount of extra traffic there would be on the roads during construction.”
The Crow contacted Bury Lane Farm but the business was unable to comment at the time of going to press.