Residents left in the dark over plans for solar farm
- Credit: Archant
Councillors have criticised the lack of publicity surrounding a consultation event for another solar farm planned for Crow country.
The solar photovoltaic farm would be built at Bury Lane Farm near Meldreth and Melbourn, and a public exhibition was held last Thursday at the community rooms in Elin Way, Meldreth.
However, local councillors are calling for another exhibition to be staged before a planning application is submitted.
Cllr Steve Hawkins, chairman of Meldreth Parish Council, said: “None of the councillors were aware of the exhibition until last week, the first I heard of it was when someone told me there was an advert in The Crow.
“We were disappointed that not many people were able to attend the exhibition. We will consider the merits of the solar farm when a planning application is submitted.”
Melbourn county councillor Susan van de Ven felt she was also left in the dark about the event.
She said: “There should have been more publicity, and I would be concerned if that was the only public consultation they have planned. I would ask for another exhibition to be held.
- 1 Motorist charged with careless driving after motorcyclist injured in crash
- 2 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 3 Concerns raised as Royston patients travel for booster jabs
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 'It was great to see the whole town get in the spirit of Christmas'
- 6 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 7 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 8 Disruption to train lines between Royston and Cambridge
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Room at the inn for 1,000-mile charity trekker
“Whenever there’s a question about alternative energy raised we need to keep an open mind and look at the available options closely.”
Melbourn Parish Council would like to see an event held in the village due to the effect construction of the farm could have on nearby residents.
Cllr Peter Simmonett said: “We were hoping the exhibition would be in Melbourn, as the application has been discussed at parish council and some concerns have been raised.
“I know people are worried about the amount of extra traffic there would be on the roads during construction.”
The Crow contacted Bury Lane Farm but the business was unable to comment at the time of going to press.