Relaunch sees Melbourn WI return after 20 year gap
- Credit: Archant
A new Women’s Institute is being relaunched in the village of Melbourn.
The last WI group closed more than 20 years ago in the village, but in all the excitement of the national organisation’s centenary last year, villagers felt it was an ideal time to bring it back.
Things kick off on Wednesday, June 22, when organisers will welcome all women from the age of 18 to come along at 7.30pm to All Saints Community Hall in Station Road.
Member Ruth Bond from the Cambridge Federation of Women’s Institutes said: “There will be cake and the opportunity to be the first members of the new 21st century WI in this village.
“The WI is there for you, the WI is what you make of it and is what you want it to be.”
You may also want to watch:
To find out more about the institution and how to get involved in groups around the country, then visit the website at www.thewi.org.uk.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 5 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 9 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 10 Family builds fairy garden for grandchildren during lockdown