Recycling role for Royston councillor
Peter Burt takes position in new look NHDC cabinet
ROYSTON councillor Peter Burt has been named as a council’s waste and recycling supremo.
Cllr Burt, who represents Royston Heath, takes up the position of portfolio holder for waste and recycling in North Herts district council’s new look cabinet.
The position was made vacant by Cllr Lynda Needham, who has stepped up to take the role of leader of the council which was previously held by another Royston councillor, F John Smith.
Cllr Smith had been leader of the council since 1999, but retired before the recent elections after 37 years of service on the district council, Cllr Needham said he would be “a hard act to follow.”
She said: “I am delighted to be elected Leader of North Herts District Council and I am excited about the challenges that lay ahead. I would like to pay tribute to my predecessor Cllr F Joh Smith for his achievements throughout the council for the past 37 years. He will be a hard act to follow.
“The challenging national economic climate means that we must continue to deliver a range of important services which also represent good value for money. The years ahead will be tough, but we are committed to investing in our town centres, prioritising green issues, and getting the balance right between future development and preserving our beautiful countryside,” she said.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 4 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 5 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 6 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 9 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
The cabinet posts were decided at the new full council’s first meeting, which took place last night (Thursday).
Chairman of the Council was named as Cllr David Levett. He takes over the role from Cllr David Millar.