Recycling role for Royston councillor
Peter Burt takes position in new look NHDC cabinet
ROYSTON councillor Peter Burt has been named as a council’s waste and recycling supremo.
Cllr Burt, who represents Royston Heath, takes up the position of portfolio holder for waste and recycling in North Herts district council’s new look cabinet.
The position was made vacant by Cllr Lynda Needham, who has stepped up to take the role of leader of the council which was previously held by another Royston councillor, F John Smith.
Cllr Smith had been leader of the council since 1999, but retired before the recent elections after 37 years of service on the district council, Cllr Needham said he would be “a hard act to follow.”
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I am delighted to be elected Leader of North Herts District Council and I am excited about the challenges that lay ahead. I would like to pay tribute to my predecessor Cllr F Joh Smith for his achievements throughout the council for the past 37 years. He will be a hard act to follow.
“The challenging national economic climate means that we must continue to deliver a range of important services which also represent good value for money. The years ahead will be tough, but we are committed to investing in our town centres, prioritising green issues, and getting the balance right between future development and preserving our beautiful countryside,” she said.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 7 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 10 Freedom Day has been delayed by up to four weeks
The cabinet posts were decided at the new full council’s first meeting, which took place last night (Thursday).
Chairman of the Council was named as Cllr David Levett. He takes over the role from Cllr David Millar.