Recycling banks to be moved under new scheme
- Credit: Archant
ALL public recycling banks will be removed in North Herts next week, following the introduction of a new scheme.
North Herts District Council’s (NHDC) recycling facilities will take their last donations from the public on Monday when they are removed from 21 locations across the area.
The banks are situated at various locations including supermarkets, car parks, recreation grounds and retail parks, and are being removed due to the new kerbside recycling service introduced by the authority earlier this year.
The new service, which was rolled out across the district in stages, means all recyclables are now collected from the kerbside, including plastics, which had to be dropped off before.
The scheme has attracted a mixed response from residents.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Peter Burt, NHDC portfolio holder for waste, recycling and environment, said: “Removing NHDC’s public recycling banks will save taxpayers money as we no longer need to employ contractors to empty them. This is because everything that has historically been recycled at the banks can now be recycled kerbside.
“People in North Herts are already keen recyclers and now they can recycle even more right on their doorstep.”
- 1 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 2 Royston photographer wins abstract picture competition
- 3 South Cambs MP launches new forum to champion local life sciences
- 4 Experts to discuss mental health at new online festival
- 5 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 6 Councillors gagged by threat of 'personal litigation' ahead of farmgate debate
- 7 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 8 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 9 COVID-19: Literary festival event to mark anniversary of first lockdown
- 10 'Utterly extraordinary' says Lib Dem leader of disgraced deputy leader's criticisms
Supermarkets which have their own recycling facilities for items such as plastic carrier bags and other plastics and charity recycling banks for shoes, clothing and books will still be available to the public.
NHDC recycling facilities will also be available at the larger Letchworth Household Waste Recycling Centre.
To find out more about NHDC’s scheme, including frequently asked questions and what should be recycled where, visit www.north-herts.gov.uk