Rare honour for councillor
A RARELY-BESTOWED honour has gone to a man who spent 50 years as district councillor in Crow country.
For the last nine years until last May when he retired, F John Smith was leader of North Herts District Council.
His five decades of service were recognised on Thursday when he was made an honorary alderman by the council.
During his time with NHDC, Mr Smith served in more than 80 posts, on working parties, boards and committees in roles involving the East of England Regional Assembly, the Greater Cambridge Partnership, the Hertfordshire Society and the Local Government Association as well as numerous other organisations and NHDC committees.
He was first elected to Royston Urban District Council in 1958 and moved to the newly-created North Herts District Council in 1973. Five years later he became chairman and in 2001 he took over as leader.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Smith said: “I am very honoured, and rather pleased that I am the first Royston member to achieve this honour.”
Cllr Lynda Needham, the current leader of the council, said: “The council does not bestow this accolade lightly. In almost 40 years we have only created a handful of honorary aldermen.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 Extra Car Park Panto date added for IWM Duxford
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 6 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 7 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 8 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 9 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 10 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
“Cllr Smith has given eminent service to NHDC, the residents of North Herts and to his community in Royston over a lifetime committed to working for the public good. This honour is our thank you to an exceptional man.”