Rape trial is told about victim’s kiss

PUBLISHED: 15:29 05 March 2008 | UPDATED: 15:41 11 May 2010

A MAN alleged to have followed a drunk woman from a pub and then raped her, told a jury today how she had French kissed him. Robin Oakes, 45, said it was only after she had allowed him to fondle her that she suddenly changed and pushed him away, saying i

A MAN alleged to have followed a drunk woman from a pub and then raped her, told a jury today how she had French kissed him.

Robin Oakes, 45, said it was only after she had allowed him to fondle her that she suddenly changed and pushed him away, saying if her husband found out he would throw her out.

He said he left the woman sitting on a crate behind a warehouse where they had been kissing.

Mr Oakes was giving evidence today (Wednesday) at Luton Crown Court. He has denied a charge of raping the woman late on the night of Saturday 28 October, 2006.

Oakes, of Swinburne Close, Royston, also denies an alternative charge of sexual assault.

During the trial, the jury has heard how the woman, who at the time was in her late 20s, was out for the evening in Royston town centre with her husband and a friend, when she became separated from them.

She had been drinking heavily when she appeared on her own late in the evening at the Coach and Horses pub in Kneesworth Street, Royston, where Mr Oakes was also drinking.

The court has heard how the woman was heard to say "Who's going to buy me a drink then?"

She eventually left on her own but, said Ian Wade, prosecuting, the defendant followed her out saying he was going to make sure she was alright.

The woman was to tell police later that someone was walking with her when she was pushed to the ground and pinned down roughly. She said she struck the man in his face, but he had her by her throat and was throttling her.

Mr Wade said "She thought she might die in his grip and decided she must stop struggling. She believes she shouted for help and then felt him rape her."

The court has heard how the victim managed to get home and the police were called.

The jury were told that the defendant's blood was discovered on the victim's clothing.

He was arrested at the end of November 2006.

In the witness box, Oakes told the jury how he went into Royston town centre. He said he had a couple of pints in the Coach and Horses before going to the White Bear pub.

He said at around 10.30-10.45pm he returned to the Coach and Horses and was there when the woman came into the bar.

Mr Oakes said "She asked a couple of people if she could have a drink. She came up to me and asked me to buy her a drink, a vodka and lemonade."

He said he was going to buy her a drink, but "was given a look" by a member of staff and so he told her "No."

He went on "She just said 'That's your great loss'."

Mr Oakes said a short while later he realised she had gone and he was about to leave the pub as well.

He said as he walked out, people were commenting about the amount she had had to drink and he had said he would take care of her.

Outside in Kneesworth Street he said he found the woman sitting in a doorway.

"I asked her if she was all right. She wasn't crying but she seemed a bit upset."

He said the woman she had told him she had fallen out with her husband and had lost her friend. He said he asked her if she wanted a taxi, but she said there wouldn't be any at that time of night.

He said when he asked her where she lived, she pointed towards the station and he said because he was going that way as well, he would walk with her.

He said because she was unsteady on her feet, he put his arm around her waist and she put her arm around him.

Mr Oakes said he was also trying to cheer her up by making jokes.

He said when she fell over near to the White Bear pub, he ended up giving her a fireman's lift, which caused her to giggle.

"She put her hand down the back of my trousers" he said.

He said on reaching the traffic lights at a junction in Kneesworth Street, he turned right into Queens Road with the woman.

He said a short while later they went through a "cut through" and ended up in Lumen Road.

"We crossed the road and then walked around the back of a warehouse.

"I asked her where she lived and she didn't say anything and went to give me a kiss and I kissed her back."

Asked what sort of kiss it was, he described it as a full French kiss and said it lasted for around 20 seconds. He said he began fondling her breasts and they kissed again.

"Then I started to undo the button on her trousers and she was fine."

He said he put his hand inside her jeans and fondled her.

"Everything was fine and then all of a sudden she pushed me and asked me to stop."

Mr Oakes said the woman told him that if her husband found out he would throw her out.

He went on: "I did try to initiate another kiss, but she made it very clear she didn't want to carry on."

He added "She was ok, she wasn't crying. She asked me to walk her the rest of the way home and I said 'Are you having a laugh?' "

He said he then walked off leaving her sitting on a crate at the back of the warehouse.

He said nearby he went into a Royal British Legion Club hoping to buy some cigarettes. Leaving a few minutes later, he said he saw the woman in the street again.

She seemed to be wandering around. She just seemed a bit disorientated. She went to speak to me and before she spoke, I told her to f..k off and leave me alone.

He said he then walked off and said he thought he got home around 12.30 to 12.40am.

The case continues.


More news stories

Yesterday, 15:36

Nearly 200 potential buyers – including those from hoteliers and care providers- have expressed interest in acquiring Shire Hall, Cambridge, the historic headquarters of Cambridgeshire County Council.

Yesterday, 11:37

The vicar of St John the Baptist Church in Royston has thanked the community for its “outpouring of concern” following a fire at the site on Sunday, which left many shocked and devastated.

Women in east and north Hertfordshire have been waiting up to 14 weeks for the results of life-saving cervical screening tests – seven times longer than the NHS target.

Mon, 18:19

Police have issued another appeal for witnesses following the devastating blaze at a Royston church yesterday.

Most read stories

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Royston Crow e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Royston Crow weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy