Rail disruption after accident
RAIL commuters from the Royston area travelling to London faced a disrupted journey this morning (Monday) because of overrunning of weekend engineering works after an accident on the track when an engineer was struck by a train. The accident happened on
RAIL commuters from the Royston area travelling to London faced a disrupted journey this morning (Monday) because of overrunning of weekend engineering works after an accident on the track when an engineer was struck by a train.
The accident happened on Sunday evening at 5.35pm when the engineer was hit by the train as he worked on the track at the rear of Julians Road, Stevenage, bringing services and the engineering work to a halt while ambulance crews from Royston, Stevenage, and Letchworth attended the incident.
"It would appear the man was working on the line when he was struck by a train and on arrival he was found lying in the middle of the tracks," said Gary Sanderson, spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service.
"After rapid treatment and stabilisation by emergency medical technicians and paramedics, he was taken to a waiting trauma team at the Lister Hospital."
You may also want to watch:
The engineer suffered injuries to his shoulder and lower back
While the engineering work continued commuters had to travel by special buses to Welwyn North until mid-morning, where they managed to catch inner suburban services to London.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s