Pupils vote to save teacher
THE Queen was among several celebrities thrown out of a balloon by pupils at Steeple Morden Primary School. But don t worry, they gave her a parachute. On Friday, the school held its Great Balloon debate, which saw each class pick a celebrity who they wan
THE Queen was among several celebrities thrown out of a balloon by pupils at Steeple Morden Primary School.
But don't worry, they gave her a parachute.
On Friday, the school held its Great Balloon debate, which saw each class pick a celebrity who they wanted to stay in the balloon.
They then had to come with reasons why their chosen star should not be evicted, which they presented to fellow pupils in assembly.
Organiser Victoria Pentey said: "The children have been putting their arguments together and campaigning for the last couple of weeks.
"After the assembly the pupils had to vote for the candidate, other than their own, that they wanted to stay in the balloon the most.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 10 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
"It's been a really good exercise in terms of improving speaking and listening, and they've had a lot of fun as well."
While compelling cases were put forward for the likes of Winston Churchill and Tutankhamen, it was a more familiar face that triumphed in the ballot.
Teaching assistant Jackie Dix topped the poll, after being nominated by the reception class for all her hard work with them over the year.
Head teacher Richard Lloyd, who was among those ejected from the balloon, said: "We made sure everyone had a working parachute!