Pupils take home cup for England
ENGLAND have finally ended 40 years of hurt by winning the World Cup – albeit an Icknield Walk School equivalent. The school in Royston held its own World Cup Tournament to help raise money for the UK s children s cancer charity, CLIC. All pupils from Y
ENGLAND have finally ended 40 years of hurt by winning the World Cup - albeit an Icknield Walk School equivalent.
The school in Royston held its own World Cup Tournament to help raise money for the UK's children's cancer charity, CLIC.
All pupils from Year 1 to Year 4 took part and were divided into the 32 countries represented at the tournament.
All tournament rules applied with group stages and knock-out rounds leading up to the final, where England were crowned winners of the Year 3 and Year 4 section, with the US winning the Year 1 and Year 2.
You may also want to watch:
The school raised £250, 75 per cent going to CLIC and the remaining 25 per cent being used to buy new sports equipment.
Head teacher Marilyn Jones said: "It was a fabulous day and all who were involved really enjoyed themselves.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 5 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 8 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
"The PE staff organised the event beautifully and it seems England have finally won another World Cup.
"The charity is particularly relevant to the school at the moment because a girl in Year 2 is receiving treatment at Addenbrooke's for leukaemia.
"It is important and it is obviously a charity close to our thoughts.