Pupils make a splash in re-opened pool
PTA funds help with refurbishment
Pupils at Steeple Morden School have been making a splash by enjoying the re-opening of their school swimming pool.
The original pool dated back to the 1970s, but developed structural problems and was closed in 2006.
A series of fund raising events was organised by the PTA, including a school ball, fetes, bonfire nights, a fun run, treasure hunts, quiz nights, and bingo and cake sales, and �35,000 was raised.
School bursar Justine Henderson said: “We want to thank the PTA and local community for their support.”
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Richard Lloyd said: “We’re very excited that we can do our curriculum swimming on site and also offer recreational swimming after school.”
The pool is open after school, at weekends, and during summer holidays. It is used by the SMASH club, an after school and holiday club, which is open to children aged four-11.
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 5 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 10 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
It is also available for hire during the summer. Contact the school on 01763 852474.