Pupils get a lesson on democracy
ROYSTON councillors and officers from North Herts District Council visited members of the school council at Greneway School. Town councillor Lindsay Davidson and district and town councillor Elizabeth Beardswell visited the school to talk to pupils about
ROYSTON councillors and officers from North Herts District Council visited members of the school council at Greneway School.
Town councillor Lindsay Davidson and district and town councillor Elizabeth Beardswell visited the school to talk to pupils about their roles and to answer questions.
Alan Fleck and Julie Williams, from the district council were also present.
Cllr Davidson said: "It's really useful to talk to the children about what we do and the importance of local government.
You may also want to watch:
"Hopefully they find it interesting and some will develop an interest in becoming councillors in the years to come.
"It's also a chance for us to find out about the issues which are important to them," she said.
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 6 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
The group of 9-13 year olds grilled the councillors on topics such as parking in the town centre, anti-social behaviour, and the state of Roystons' parks.
Organiser of the school council, Cheryl Bowyer, said: "It's a chance for the children to air their views on Royston, be they positive or negative.
"We hope it makes them more aware of what it means to be a good citizen.