Pupil’s campaign gets school patrol
A SCHOOL crossing patrol is to be introduced after a campaign by a nine-year-old pupil. Grace Thompson was concerned that crossing Garden Walk, Royston, outside Greneway and The Meridian School was unsafe. At the end of last term she organised a petition
A SCHOOL crossing patrol is to be introduced after a campaign by a nine-year-old pupil.
Grace Thompson was concerned that crossing Garden Walk, Royston, outside Greneway and The Meridian School was unsafe.
At the end of last term she organised a petition of her class mates at her old school, Icknield Walk, to ask for a crossing attendant to be employed.
She said after her mother had driven down Garden Walk "it looked quite difficult to cross".
You may also want to watch:
"Because me and a lot of people in my class were starting at Greneway this term, I asked my teacher if we could make a petition."
Having gathered about 30 signatures, Grace sent the petition to Herts County Council.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 8 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre
It replied confirming that it is now advertising for someone to take on the job.
Lisa Thompson, Grace's mother, said: "She did all the work herself.
"A crossing attendant is needed. There will be a fatal accident down here if something isn't done."
Heather Hill, crossing patrol service manager at the county council, said: "As a result of the situation being brought to our attention by Grace, we were able to investigate whether the area fitted our criteria for a crossing patrol.
"We are now advertising the position, and I would be delighted to hear from anyone interested."
In October last year, The Crow reported that a group of parents from Greneway School were campaigning for action to be taken to improve road safety in Garden Walk.
- Anyone interested in taking the position of school crossing patrol should call 01992 556015.