Pupil’s campaign gets school patrol
A SCHOOL crossing patrol is to be introduced after a campaign by a nine-year-old pupil. Grace Thompson was concerned that crossing Garden Walk, Royston, outside Greneway and The Meridian School was unsafe. At the end of last term she organised a petition
A SCHOOL crossing patrol is to be introduced after a campaign by a nine-year-old pupil.
Grace Thompson was concerned that crossing Garden Walk, Royston, outside Greneway and The Meridian School was unsafe.
At the end of last term she organised a petition of her class mates at her old school, Icknield Walk, to ask for a crossing attendant to be employed.
She said after her mother had driven down Garden Walk "it looked quite difficult to cross".
"Because me and a lot of people in my class were starting at Greneway this term, I asked my teacher if we could make a petition."
Having gathered about 30 signatures, Grace sent the petition to Herts County Council.
- 1 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 2 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 5 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 6 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 8 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 9 Partygate is a kick in the teeth for South Cambs residents, says Lib Dem candidate
- 10 Town pays tribute to 'Mr Royston' who made huge contribution to community
It replied confirming that it is now advertising for someone to take on the job.
Lisa Thompson, Grace's mother, said: "She did all the work herself.
"A crossing attendant is needed. There will be a fatal accident down here if something isn't done."
Heather Hill, crossing patrol service manager at the county council, said: "As a result of the situation being brought to our attention by Grace, we were able to investigate whether the area fitted our criteria for a crossing patrol.
"We are now advertising the position, and I would be delighted to hear from anyone interested."
In October last year, The Crow reported that a group of parents from Greneway School were campaigning for action to be taken to improve road safety in Garden Walk.
- Anyone interested in taking the position of school crossing patrol should call 01992 556015.