Pupil’s campaign gets school patrol
A SCHOOL crossing patrol is to be introduced after a campaign by a nine-year-old pupil. Grace Thompson was concerned that crossing Garden Walk, Royston, outside Greneway and The Meridian School was unsafe. At the end of last term she organised a petition
A SCHOOL crossing patrol is to be introduced after a campaign by a nine-year-old pupil.
Grace Thompson was concerned that crossing Garden Walk, Royston, outside Greneway and The Meridian School was unsafe.
At the end of last term she organised a petition of her class mates at her old school, Icknield Walk, to ask for a crossing attendant to be employed.
She said after her mother had driven down Garden Walk "it looked quite difficult to cross".
You may also want to watch:
"Because me and a lot of people in my class were starting at Greneway this term, I asked my teacher if we could make a petition."
Having gathered about 30 signatures, Grace sent the petition to Herts County Council.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
It replied confirming that it is now advertising for someone to take on the job.
Lisa Thompson, Grace's mother, said: "She did all the work herself.
"A crossing attendant is needed. There will be a fatal accident down here if something isn't done."
Heather Hill, crossing patrol service manager at the county council, said: "As a result of the situation being brought to our attention by Grace, we were able to investigate whether the area fitted our criteria for a crossing patrol.
"We are now advertising the position, and I would be delighted to hear from anyone interested."
In October last year, The Crow reported that a group of parents from Greneway School were campaigning for action to be taken to improve road safety in Garden Walk.
- Anyone interested in taking the position of school crossing patrol should call 01992 556015.