Punters evacuated from Royston’s Wetherspoon pub after fire breaks out
- Credit: Archant
Punters were evacuated from Royston’s Wetherspoon pub last night after a chimney fire broke out.
Two crews from Royston and one from Buntingford were sent to The Manor House pub at 10.30pm, after the manager was alerted to “a strong burning smell in the attic and smoke in the spirits cupboard.”
The fire was extinguished with a hose reel, and the Melbourn Street pub reopened this morning.
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “The manager asked the bar associate to evacuate the customers and the manager checked the kitchen to ensure staff had evacuated too – and that the gas had been turned off.
“The manager and bar associate then went around the pub to ensure everyone had evacuated it.
You may also want to watch:
“There was a strong burning smell in the attic and smoke in the spirits cupboard, but no visible cause.
“The fire brigade arrived and toured the pub and assessed the situation. They dealt with the fire and left at 1.35am.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
“We are grateful for the skill and expertise they showed in dealing with the situation.”