Punters evacuated from Royston’s Wetherspoon pub after fire breaks out
- Credit: Archant
Punters were evacuated from Royston’s Wetherspoon pub last night after a chimney fire broke out.
Two crews from Royston and one from Buntingford were sent to The Manor House pub at 10.30pm, after the manager was alerted to “a strong burning smell in the attic and smoke in the spirits cupboard.”
The fire was extinguished with a hose reel, and the Melbourn Street pub reopened this morning.
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “The manager asked the bar associate to evacuate the customers and the manager checked the kitchen to ensure staff had evacuated too – and that the gas had been turned off.
“The manager and bar associate then went around the pub to ensure everyone had evacuated it.
You may also want to watch:
“There was a strong burning smell in the attic and smoke in the spirits cupboard, but no visible cause.
“The fire brigade arrived and toured the pub and assessed the situation. They dealt with the fire and left at 1.35am.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
“We are grateful for the skill and expertise they showed in dealing with the situation.”