Punters evacuated from Royston’s Wetherspoon pub after fire breaks out
- Credit: Archant
Punters were evacuated from Royston’s Wetherspoon pub last night after a chimney fire broke out.
Two crews from Royston and one from Buntingford were sent to The Manor House pub at 10.30pm, after the manager was alerted to “a strong burning smell in the attic and smoke in the spirits cupboard.”
The fire was extinguished with a hose reel, and the Melbourn Street pub reopened this morning.
Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “The manager asked the bar associate to evacuate the customers and the manager checked the kitchen to ensure staff had evacuated too – and that the gas had been turned off.
“The manager and bar associate then went around the pub to ensure everyone had evacuated it.
“There was a strong burning smell in the attic and smoke in the spirits cupboard, but no visible cause.
“The fire brigade arrived and toured the pub and assessed the situation. They dealt with the fire and left at 1.35am.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 3 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 4 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 5 William and Kate unveil their first official portrait at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 6 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 7 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 8 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 9 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
“We are grateful for the skill and expertise they showed in dealing with the situation.”