Public relations costs almost £1.5m a year
LIBERAL Democrats on Herts County Council have said the spending nearly £1.5 million-a-year on public relations beggars belief . The group s deputy leader, Cllr Stephen Giles-Medhurst, said Liberal Democrats would be seeking cuts to the public relations
LIBERAL Democrats on Herts County Council have said the spending nearly £1.5 million-a-year on public relations "beggars belief".
The group's deputy leader, Cllr Stephen Giles-Medhurst, said Liberal Democrats would be seeking cuts to the public relations costs in this year's budget talks.
He said the spending on public relations worked out at a "staggering" £4,000-a-day.
"With services for vulnerable people being cut back, it beggars belief that this department has 27 staff and has been increasing its spending by nearly three times the rate of inflation," said Cllr Giles-Medhurst.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "We will be seeking swingeing cuts in this year's budget round."
Figures produced by the Liberal Democrats at County Hall showed public relations cost £1,218,000 in 2005-06 and £1,339,000 in 2006-07. The budget for 2007-08 is £1,457,000.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
Herts County Council has yet to respond to questions from The Crow about the public relations spending.