Public relations costs almost £1.5m a year
LIBERAL Democrats on Herts County Council have said the spending nearly £1.5 million-a-year on public relations beggars belief . The group s deputy leader, Cllr Stephen Giles-Medhurst, said Liberal Democrats would be seeking cuts to the public relations
LIBERAL Democrats on Herts County Council have said the spending nearly £1.5 million-a-year on public relations "beggars belief".
The group's deputy leader, Cllr Stephen Giles-Medhurst, said Liberal Democrats would be seeking cuts to the public relations costs in this year's budget talks.
He said the spending on public relations worked out at a "staggering" £4,000-a-day.
"With services for vulnerable people being cut back, it beggars belief that this department has 27 staff and has been increasing its spending by nearly three times the rate of inflation," said Cllr Giles-Medhurst.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "We will be seeking swingeing cuts in this year's budget round."
Figures produced by the Liberal Democrats at County Hall showed public relations cost £1,218,000 in 2005-06 and £1,339,000 in 2006-07. The budget for 2007-08 is £1,457,000.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
Herts County Council has yet to respond to questions from The Crow about the public relations spending.