Public relations costs almost £1.5m a year
LIBERAL Democrats on Herts County Council have said the spending nearly £1.5 million-a-year on public relations beggars belief . The group s deputy leader, Cllr Stephen Giles-Medhurst, said Liberal Democrats would be seeking cuts to the public relations
LIBERAL Democrats on Herts County Council have said the spending nearly £1.5 million-a-year on public relations "beggars belief".
The group's deputy leader, Cllr Stephen Giles-Medhurst, said Liberal Democrats would be seeking cuts to the public relations costs in this year's budget talks.
He said the spending on public relations worked out at a "staggering" £4,000-a-day.
"With services for vulnerable people being cut back, it beggars belief that this department has 27 staff and has been increasing its spending by nearly three times the rate of inflation," said Cllr Giles-Medhurst.
He added: "We will be seeking swingeing cuts in this year's budget round."
Figures produced by the Liberal Democrats at County Hall showed public relations cost £1,218,000 in 2005-06 and £1,339,000 in 2006-07. The budget for 2007-08 is £1,457,000.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 10 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
Herts County Council has yet to respond to questions from The Crow about the public relations spending.