Protest walk for those against new gipsy site
VILLAGERS opposed to a gipsy and traveller site being set up in Bassingbourn have organised a protest walk. The walk will take place on Sunday August 30, and organisers are calling as many people as possible to join them at 11.30am out the doctor s surger
VILLAGERS opposed to a gipsy and traveller site being set up in Bassingbourn have organised a protest walk.
The walk will take place on Sunday August 30, and organisers are calling as many people as possible to join them at 11.30am out the doctor's surgery in Spring Lane.
A spokesman for the organisers said: "The purpose of the walk is, apart from the enjoyment of walking in such a special area, to demonstrate to South Cambridgeshire District Council the strength of feeling there is concerning the possible development of a travellers' and gypsy site in such an inappropriate place.
"We would also hope to impress on the councillors and officers what a loss of a much loved and used recreational facility it would be if the many walkers, riders and cyclists who presently use it would no longer feel happy to do so."
You may also want to watch:
South Cambridgeshire District Council needs to find 88 new gipsy and traveller pitches by 2021, and the Bassingbourn site, along with land at Old North Road, Whaddon, is among 149 plots that have been identified as possible locations.
Two weeks ago, more than 500 villagers packed an exhibition on the proposals, while 300 attendees flocked to a meeting about the plans.
- 1 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 5 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 6 Suspected arsonist held after health centre fire
- 7 Constituency boundary review - have you had your say?
- 8 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 9 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 10 Where to get a walk-in Covid-19 vaccine in Cambridgeshire this weekend
The walk is expect to last 45 minutes.