Post workers' union draws up plans for strike in Royston on Friday
PLANS for possible postal strike action in Crow Country at the end of the week have already been drawn up by the Communication Workers Union (CWU). Talks to try and avert the proposed two-day disruption of postal services have already started, with Royal
PLANS for possible postal strike action in Crow Country at the end of the week have already been drawn up by the Communication Workers Union (CWU).
Talks to try and avert the proposed two-day disruption of postal services have already started, with Royal Mail offering to approach the conciliation service Acas to discuss modernisation only if the CWU calls off its planned strike action.
Today Steve Butts, the CWU area delivery representative for Cambridge that covers Royston outlined how the union plans to picket local sorting offices.
"If the strike goes ahead then our members in Royston will come out on Friday meaning few deliveries or collections in the town," said Mr Butts, who is based at the Portmill Lane sorting office in Hitchin.
You may also want to watch:
"There will also be pickets at the Royston sorting office in Grantham Close."
The CWU has called on its members to strike on Thursday and Friday over pay, conditions and postal reform.
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 3 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 4 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 5 Parents struggling with homeschooling to get boost from book donors
- 6 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 7 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 8 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 9 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 10 Luton Airport flight path public consultation in final weeks
The union has been further angered this week by Royal Mail's decision to hire up to 30,000 temporary workers in an attempt to take some sting out of strike action.