Post workers' union draws up plans for strike in Royston on Friday
PLANS for possible postal strike action in Crow Country at the end of the week have already been drawn up by the Communication Workers Union (CWU). Talks to try and avert the proposed two-day disruption of postal services have already started, with Royal
PLANS for possible postal strike action in Crow Country at the end of the week have already been drawn up by the Communication Workers Union (CWU).
Talks to try and avert the proposed two-day disruption of postal services have already started, with Royal Mail offering to approach the conciliation service Acas to discuss modernisation only if the CWU calls off its planned strike action.
Today Steve Butts, the CWU area delivery representative for Cambridge that covers Royston outlined how the union plans to picket local sorting offices.
"If the strike goes ahead then our members in Royston will come out on Friday meaning few deliveries or collections in the town," said Mr Butts, who is based at the Portmill Lane sorting office in Hitchin.
You may also want to watch:
"There will also be pickets at the Royston sorting office in Grantham Close."
The CWU has called on its members to strike on Thursday and Friday over pay, conditions and postal reform.
- 1 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 2 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 3 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 4 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 5 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 8 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 9 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 10 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
The union has been further angered this week by Royal Mail's decision to hire up to 30,000 temporary workers in an attempt to take some sting out of strike action.