Poppy appeal gets underway
THIS year s Poppy Appeal gets underway in Crow Country this weekend. Royston s mayor, Cllr Rod Kennedy, was the first person to make a donation and receive a poppy from chairman of the Royston branch of the Royal British Legion, Chris Murphy. The Poppy Ap
THIS year's Poppy Appeal gets underway in Crow Country this weekend.
Royston's mayor, Cllr Rod Kennedy, was the first person to make a donation and receive a poppy from chairman of the Royston branch of the Royal British Legion, Chris Murphy.
The Poppy Appeal raises funds for the Royal British Legion, which supports all active and former servicemen from the British armed forces.
Mr Murphy said: "With the conflicts continuing in Iraq and Afghanistan, we're seeing a lot of young servicemen coming back with various types of injuries.
You may also want to watch:
"The legion provides all different kinds of support for them, and the Poppy Appeal is a great way of raising funds.
"A lot of the time the activities of the legion are associated with veterans from the Great War, but we're there to help past and present servicemen of all ages," he said.
- 1 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 2 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 3 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
- 4 Council tax set to rise in South Cambs to help support frontline services
- 5 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
- 6 Royston man celebrates 100th birthday after recovering from COVID-19
- 7 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
- 8 Send us photos of your exotic pets!
- 9 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 10 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
Remembrance Sunday itself will see the usual march take place, leaving the British Legion headquarters, in Queens Road, Royston, at 10.45am, and marching to the war memorial at Priory Memorial Gardens.
Afterwards, the Opus 17 swing band will entertain guests at the British Legion with a selection of swing and big band music. They will play from 1pm - 4pm.