Poppy appeal gets underway
THIS year s Poppy Appeal gets underway in Crow Country this weekend. Royston s mayor, Cllr Rod Kennedy, was the first person to make a donation and receive a poppy from chairman of the Royston branch of the Royal British Legion, Chris Murphy. The Poppy Ap
THIS year's Poppy Appeal gets underway in Crow Country this weekend.
Royston's mayor, Cllr Rod Kennedy, was the first person to make a donation and receive a poppy from chairman of the Royston branch of the Royal British Legion, Chris Murphy.
The Poppy Appeal raises funds for the Royal British Legion, which supports all active and former servicemen from the British armed forces.
Mr Murphy said: "With the conflicts continuing in Iraq and Afghanistan, we're seeing a lot of young servicemen coming back with various types of injuries.
"The legion provides all different kinds of support for them, and the Poppy Appeal is a great way of raising funds.
"A lot of the time the activities of the legion are associated with veterans from the Great War, but we're there to help past and present servicemen of all ages," he said.
- 1 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 2 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 3 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 Royston children encouraged to write to the Queen
- 6 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 7 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 8 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 9 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 10 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
Remembrance Sunday itself will see the usual march take place, leaving the British Legion headquarters, in Queens Road, Royston, at 10.45am, and marching to the war memorial at Priory Memorial Gardens.
Afterwards, the Opus 17 swing band will entertain guests at the British Legion with a selection of swing and big band music. They will play from 1pm - 4pm.