Police warning after spate of day-time burglaries
POLICE have issued a warning after a spate of day-time burglaries.
Since the beginning of September there have been 44 burglaries in South Cambridgeshire, with most of the offences taking place during the day.
Melbourn is one of the main affected villages, along with Barton, Comberton, Caldecote and West Wratting.
Detective Inspector Ian Simmons, from Cambridgeshire Police, said: “In the past month we have seen a rise in burglaries in South Cambridgeshire, some of which we believe are part of a single series.
“The majority of offences are happening during the day with offenders targeting homes while people are working.
“We’ve also noticed sheds and outbuildings have been targeted, with tools and equipment being stolen.”
Det Insp Simmons added that an investigation to trace the perpertrators was “ongoing”.
- 1 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 10 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
He said: “Local officers are working with the force’s tactical team and traffic officers to increase patrols in the targeted areas and work is ongoing to trace those responsible.
“The public also play an important role and I would urge people to be our eyes and ears in their street, look out for one another and report anything out of the ordinary or suspicious to police.”
Anyone with information can contact Cambridgeshire Police on 101, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Advice on deterring would-be burglars is available on the force website, www.cambs.police.uk.