Police warning after spate of day-time burglaries
POLICE have issued a warning after a spate of day-time burglaries.
Since the beginning of September there have been 44 burglaries in South Cambridgeshire, with most of the offences taking place during the day.
Melbourn is one of the main affected villages, along with Barton, Comberton, Caldecote and West Wratting.
Detective Inspector Ian Simmons, from Cambridgeshire Police, said: “In the past month we have seen a rise in burglaries in South Cambridgeshire, some of which we believe are part of a single series.
“The majority of offences are happening during the day with offenders targeting homes while people are working.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve also noticed sheds and outbuildings have been targeted, with tools and equipment being stolen.”
Det Insp Simmons added that an investigation to trace the perpertrators was “ongoing”.
- 1 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 9 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
He said: “Local officers are working with the force’s tactical team and traffic officers to increase patrols in the targeted areas and work is ongoing to trace those responsible.
“The public also play an important role and I would urge people to be our eyes and ears in their street, look out for one another and report anything out of the ordinary or suspicious to police.”
Anyone with information can contact Cambridgeshire Police on 101, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Advice on deterring would-be burglars is available on the force website, www.cambs.police.uk.