Police warning after spate of day-time burglaries
POLICE have issued a warning after a spate of day-time burglaries.
Since the beginning of September there have been 44 burglaries in South Cambridgeshire, with most of the offences taking place during the day.
Melbourn is one of the main affected villages, along with Barton, Comberton, Caldecote and West Wratting.
Detective Inspector Ian Simmons, from Cambridgeshire Police, said: “In the past month we have seen a rise in burglaries in South Cambridgeshire, some of which we believe are part of a single series.
“The majority of offences are happening during the day with offenders targeting homes while people are working.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve also noticed sheds and outbuildings have been targeted, with tools and equipment being stolen.”
Det Insp Simmons added that an investigation to trace the perpertrators was “ongoing”.
- 1 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 2 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 3 Parents struggling with homeschooling to get boost from book donors
- 4 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 5 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 6 COVID-19 figures falling in North Herts and South Cambs
- 7 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 8 Ambulance boss steps down after battling 'severe coronavirus'
- 9 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
He said: “Local officers are working with the force’s tactical team and traffic officers to increase patrols in the targeted areas and work is ongoing to trace those responsible.
“The public also play an important role and I would urge people to be our eyes and ears in their street, look out for one another and report anything out of the ordinary or suspicious to police.”
Anyone with information can contact Cambridgeshire Police on 101, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Advice on deterring would-be burglars is available on the force website, www.cambs.police.uk.