Police warning after spate of day-time burglaries
POLICE have issued a warning after a spate of day-time burglaries.
Since the beginning of September there have been 44 burglaries in South Cambridgeshire, with most of the offences taking place during the day.
Melbourn is one of the main affected villages, along with Barton, Comberton, Caldecote and West Wratting.
Detective Inspector Ian Simmons, from Cambridgeshire Police, said: “In the past month we have seen a rise in burglaries in South Cambridgeshire, some of which we believe are part of a single series.
“The majority of offences are happening during the day with offenders targeting homes while people are working.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve also noticed sheds and outbuildings have been targeted, with tools and equipment being stolen.”
Det Insp Simmons added that an investigation to trace the perpertrators was “ongoing”.
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 4 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 5 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 6 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 9 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
He said: “Local officers are working with the force’s tactical team and traffic officers to increase patrols in the targeted areas and work is ongoing to trace those responsible.
“The public also play an important role and I would urge people to be our eyes and ears in their street, look out for one another and report anything out of the ordinary or suspicious to police.”
Anyone with information can contact Cambridgeshire Police on 101, or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Advice on deterring would-be burglars is available on the force website, www.cambs.police.uk.