Police warn residents to be aware of bogus callers
POLICE are warning residents to be on alert after reports of bogus callers purporting to offer a refund on bank charges. Cambridgeshire police have received 12 calls in the last week after being contacted by a company advising them that they are due a ref
POLICE are warning residents to be on alert after reports of bogus callers purporting to offer a refund on bank charges.
Cambridgeshire police have received 12 calls in the last week after being contacted by a company advising them that they are due a refund of bank charges in the region of �600.
The caller then proceeds to ask for personal information including bank details and the date of birth of the householder. The phone number of the company is usually withheld and when challenged, the caller hangs up.
Kate Kent, crime reduction manager at the force's community safety unit, said: "Genuine companies offering to assist with refunds of bank charges will be regulated by the Ministry of Justice.
You may also want to watch:
"Their companies will not cold call you and ask you to provide personal details over the phone.
"If you receive a call of this nature I would strongly advise you to hang up and not to give any information out. Like other scams, if the offer sounds too good to be true then it usually is," she said.
- 1 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 2 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 3 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 4 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 8 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
- 10 Rail timetable change could see 'dramatic improvement' to village services