Police warn children to beware mystery man
SCHOOL children have been warned to be on their guard after reports of a strange man approaching youngsters in Crow Country. Cambridgeshire police said they have received several reports in the last few days about a man approaching teenagers in Melbourn a
SCHOOL children have been warned to be on their guard after reports of a strange man approaching youngsters in Crow Country.
Cambridgeshire police said they have received several reports in the last few days about a man approaching teenagers in Melbourn and asking them for cigarettes.
The man has reportedly been stopping his car to talk to the youngsters, and then driving off.
A police spokesman confirmed that officers were looking into the incidents.
She said: "We've had a number of people from Melbourn contact us about this man approaching pupils from the village college.
"The police community support officers (PCSOs) in the village have been investigating, and have contacted all the schools in Melbourn and the surrounding villages to tell them about what has been happening so that they can warn their pupils to be alert."
- 1 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 10 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
The spokesman added that they do not yet have any details about the man's appearance, or what sort of car he drives, but said that PCSOs will be visiting the college to try and get some more details from those who have seen him.
A spokesman for Melbourn Village College said that they have sent a note to all pupils to inform them of the presence of the mystery man.
She said: "We had several parents contact us saying this man had spoken to their children last weekend.
"We don't want to be alarmist, but thought it would be prudent to send a letter to parents to make them aware of the situation and to remind pupils of the general safety guidelines when it comes to talking to strangers."
Anyone with information on the man can contact Cambridgeshire Police on their non-emergency number, 0345 456 456 4, or call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.