Police warn children to beware mystery man
SCHOOL children have been warned to be on their guard after reports of a strange man approaching youngsters in Crow Country. Cambridgeshire police said they have received several reports in the last few days about a man approaching teenagers in Melbourn a
SCHOOL children have been warned to be on their guard after reports of a strange man approaching youngsters in Crow Country.
Cambridgeshire police said they have received several reports in the last few days about a man approaching teenagers in Melbourn and asking them for cigarettes.
The man has reportedly been stopping his car to talk to the youngsters, and then driving off.
A police spokesman confirmed that officers were looking into the incidents.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "We've had a number of people from Melbourn contact us about this man approaching pupils from the village college.
"The police community support officers (PCSOs) in the village have been investigating, and have contacted all the schools in Melbourn and the surrounding villages to tell them about what has been happening so that they can warn their pupils to be alert."
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 4 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 5 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 8 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 9 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
The spokesman added that they do not yet have any details about the man's appearance, or what sort of car he drives, but said that PCSOs will be visiting the college to try and get some more details from those who have seen him.
A spokesman for Melbourn Village College said that they have sent a note to all pupils to inform them of the presence of the mystery man.
She said: "We had several parents contact us saying this man had spoken to their children last weekend.
"We don't want to be alarmist, but thought it would be prudent to send a letter to parents to make them aware of the situation and to remind pupils of the general safety guidelines when it comes to talking to strangers."
Anyone with information on the man can contact Cambridgeshire Police on their non-emergency number, 0345 456 456 4, or call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.