Police patrols increased after man follows pupils near Meldreth Primary School and Melbourn College
- Credit: Archant
Parents and pupils have been warned to be vigilant after reports of a man following students in the vicinity of Meldreth Primary School and Melbourn College.
Police were first alerted after the pupil said they were followed by a man walking down Elin Way and Whitecroft Road on Wednesday November 11.
Then pupils said they were followed by a man as they were walking across the field behind Melbourn College the following morning.
Meldreth headteacher Sasha Howard told parentsshe had spoken to Cambridgeshire Police and an investigation was underway.
“The force said that patrols have been increased in the area at home time to make sure children are kept safe.
You may also want to watch:
“I have asked staff to remind our oldest children not to talk with strangers, to walk home in pairs where possible and to be vigilant when walking home. We welcome children returning to school if this is nearer than home when they are concerned.” She said they were asking parents to speak to their children about not engaging with strangers.
A police spokesperson said: “We were called at just after 6.20pm on Wednesday to reports of suspicious circumstances in Elin Way, Meldreth.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
“It was reported that at about 3.30pm, an 11-year-old girl was followed by a man while walking home from school.
“When they reached the junction of Whitecroft Road, the man ran away in the opposite direction and the girl safely returned home unharmed.
“The man is described as white, approximately 5ft 5ins tall with dark, short hair. At the time of the incident it was reported he was wearing a black t-shirt, dark jeans and a pair of boots.
“Patrols have been increased by local officers in the area as a result. No arrests have been made and the investigation is ongoing.”
Anyone with information should call us 101 or report online at cambs.police.uk/report quoting incident 375 of 11 November.