Police officer pounding the streets as she prepares for charity walk
- Credit: Archant
A POLICE officer has been pounding the streets of Royston in preparation for a 100km charity walk.
Pc Karen Petrie, of Lindsay Close, Royston, is taking the London to Brighton challenge to raise money for Pc David Rathband’s Blue Lamp Foundation.
Mum of two Karen, who is a police officer in Cheshunt, said: “The challenge will be a true test of stamina and will power as well as fitness and abillity. It will take somewhere between 25 and 30 hours to finish the main event with many more hours training on top.
“I am pounding the streets and footpaths of Royston daily, walking a minimum of five miles most days. At the weekends, I do longer walks – we have a 20-mile route planned for next week as well as a 30 the week after, so I’m a bit nervous.”
The Blue Lamp foundation was set up in 2010 to offer financial support to members of the emergency services who are injured in the line of duty.
Pc Rathband came up with the idea for the foundation after he was shot by gunmen Raoul Moat in Northumberland in July 2010.
“I don’t believe there is enough support readily available to emergency personnel which is why I’m supporting the charity,” said Pc Petrie.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
“I also feel strongly about it having read Pc Rathband”s account of what happened to him.”
The walk takes place on May 25. To sponsor Pc Petrie, log on to www.justgiving.com/karen-petrie1