Police officer pounding the streets as she prepares for charity walk
- Credit: Archant
A POLICE officer has been pounding the streets of Royston in preparation for a 100km charity walk.
Pc Karen Petrie, of Lindsay Close, Royston, is taking the London to Brighton challenge to raise money for Pc David Rathband’s Blue Lamp Foundation.
Mum of two Karen, who is a police officer in Cheshunt, said: “The challenge will be a true test of stamina and will power as well as fitness and abillity. It will take somewhere between 25 and 30 hours to finish the main event with many more hours training on top.
“I am pounding the streets and footpaths of Royston daily, walking a minimum of five miles most days. At the weekends, I do longer walks – we have a 20-mile route planned for next week as well as a 30 the week after, so I’m a bit nervous.”
The Blue Lamp foundation was set up in 2010 to offer financial support to members of the emergency services who are injured in the line of duty.
You may also want to watch:
Pc Rathband came up with the idea for the foundation after he was shot by gunmen Raoul Moat in Northumberland in July 2010.
“I don’t believe there is enough support readily available to emergency personnel which is why I’m supporting the charity,” said Pc Petrie.
- 1 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
- 2 Royston man celebrates 100th birthday after recovering from COVID-19
- 3 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 4 County council leader praises sacrifice made by residents during lockdown
- 5 Have your say on A505 Litlington turning proposals
- 6 Council tax set to rise in South Cambs to help support frontline services
- 7 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 8 Mental health support group encouraging you to #Walkandtalk
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Royston
- 10 Victim of fatal A10 crash named
“I also feel strongly about it having read Pc Rathband”s account of what happened to him.”
The walk takes place on May 25. To sponsor Pc Petrie, log on to www.justgiving.com/karen-petrie1