Police mourn Royston neighbourhood sergeant
ROYSTON'S new neighbourhood police sergeant Richard Jones has died. Sgt Jones passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday last week while on holiday in Devon with his partner. He was 44. The experienced policeman, who is also survived by his two teenage
ROYSTON'S new neighbourhood police sergeant Richard Jones has died.
Sgt Jones, above, passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday last week while on holiday in Devon with his partner. He was 44.
The experienced policeman, who is also survived by his two teenage daughters, had been serving with Hertfordshire police for the last three years, after spells with the Essex and Bedfordshire constabularies.
Bill Davidson, from the Royston Safer Neighbourhoods Panel, worked with Sgt Jones on a number of community initiatives.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "This is very sad news. Although he had only been in Royston for a relatively short period of time, he had already introduced new things, including the more regular surgeries.
"I always found him to be very approachable and easy to deal with, and he certainly had the best interests of the town at heart.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 5 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 10 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
"He seemed a very nice chap, both as a person and a police officer."
Colleagues have paid tribute to a "dedicated and committed" officer.
Eastern area superintendent Cheryl Boyce said: "Richard's family and friends are absolutely devastated by their sudden and tragic loss, and our thoughts are with them at this sad time.
"Richard was dedicated and committed to policing throughout his career.
"He was carrying out some excellent work in Royston, including arranging the first cross border surgery with colleagues in Cambridgeshire. He will be sorely missed by many."
Sgt Jones took up the role in Royston at the beginning of December, succeeding Sgt Pete Frost.
He had previously been working in the Hitchin area.