Police mourn Royston neighbourhood sergeant
ROYSTON'S new neighbourhood police sergeant Richard Jones has died. Sgt Jones passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday last week while on holiday in Devon with his partner. He was 44. The experienced policeman, who is also survived by his two teenage
ROYSTON'S new neighbourhood police sergeant Richard Jones has died.
Sgt Jones, above, passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday last week while on holiday in Devon with his partner. He was 44.
The experienced policeman, who is also survived by his two teenage daughters, had been serving with Hertfordshire police for the last three years, after spells with the Essex and Bedfordshire constabularies.
Bill Davidson, from the Royston Safer Neighbourhoods Panel, worked with Sgt Jones on a number of community initiatives.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "This is very sad news. Although he had only been in Royston for a relatively short period of time, he had already introduced new things, including the more regular surgeries.
"I always found him to be very approachable and easy to deal with, and he certainly had the best interests of the town at heart.
- 1 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 2 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 3 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 4 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 5 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 6 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 7 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
"He seemed a very nice chap, both as a person and a police officer."
Colleagues have paid tribute to a "dedicated and committed" officer.
Eastern area superintendent Cheryl Boyce said: "Richard's family and friends are absolutely devastated by their sudden and tragic loss, and our thoughts are with them at this sad time.
"Richard was dedicated and committed to policing throughout his career.
"He was carrying out some excellent work in Royston, including arranging the first cross border surgery with colleagues in Cambridgeshire. He will be sorely missed by many."
Sgt Jones took up the role in Royston at the beginning of December, succeeding Sgt Pete Frost.
He had previously been working in the Hitchin area.