Police mourn Royston neighbourhood sergeant
ROYSTON'S new neighbourhood police sergeant Richard Jones has died. Sgt Jones passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday last week while on holiday in Devon with his partner. He was 44. The experienced policeman, who is also survived by his two teenage
ROYSTON'S new neighbourhood police sergeant Richard Jones has died.
Sgt Jones, above, passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday last week while on holiday in Devon with his partner. He was 44.
The experienced policeman, who is also survived by his two teenage daughters, had been serving with Hertfordshire police for the last three years, after spells with the Essex and Bedfordshire constabularies.
Bill Davidson, from the Royston Safer Neighbourhoods Panel, worked with Sgt Jones on a number of community initiatives.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "This is very sad news. Although he had only been in Royston for a relatively short period of time, he had already introduced new things, including the more regular surgeries.
"I always found him to be very approachable and easy to deal with, and he certainly had the best interests of the town at heart.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 5 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 8 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 9 Family builds fairy garden for grandchildren during lockdown
- 10 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
"He seemed a very nice chap, both as a person and a police officer."
Colleagues have paid tribute to a "dedicated and committed" officer.
Eastern area superintendent Cheryl Boyce said: "Richard's family and friends are absolutely devastated by their sudden and tragic loss, and our thoughts are with them at this sad time.
"Richard was dedicated and committed to policing throughout his career.
"He was carrying out some excellent work in Royston, including arranging the first cross border surgery with colleagues in Cambridgeshire. He will be sorely missed by many."
Sgt Jones took up the role in Royston at the beginning of December, succeeding Sgt Pete Frost.
He had previously been working in the Hitchin area.