Police appeal after attack on woman
DETECTIVES investigating a serious assault on a young woman in Royston are appealing for people who were in a pub nearby to contact them. The incident happened between 11.30pm on Saturday, October 28 and 1am on Sunday, October 29. The victim, a woman in
DETECTIVES investigating a serious assault on a young woman in Royston are appealing for people who were in a pub nearby to contact them.
The incident happened between 11.30pm on Saturday, October 28 and 1am on Sunday, October 29.
The victim, a woman in her 20s from Royston, was walking along Melbourn Street through the Manor House car park when she was approached from behind by a man who then sexually assaulted her.
Officers took to the streets at the weekend to speak to people in the hope of finding information to help with the investigation.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Inspector Melanie Burn said: "We are hoping to jog people's memories about where they were around the time of the incident. My officers are following up some leads.
"This was an attack on a woman who was walking home alone late at night. We are keen to hear from anyone who saw a man matching the description of the attacker just before 11.30pm, or a distressed woman walking from the car park up Dog Kennel Lane.
- 1 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 4 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 5 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 All you need to know about Welney Wetland Centre reopening
"We are also appealing for anyone who was in The Old Post Office public house between 4.30pm on Saturday, October 28 and 1am on Sunday, October 29 to come forward.
"I have no doubt that some of these people could have vital information, maybe without realising. We know that the victim was speaking to some people in the pub on the night in question, and are keen to hear from anyone who may have spoken to her or seen her."
The victim was wearing a mint coloured vest top with a white vest underneath and light blue jeans.
The attacker was a white male, aged 35-40, of stocky build, with short or just shaven hair.
He appeared clean shaven, had a southern accent and was wearing a jacket and jeans.
It is also possible that he sustained a scratch on his face during the assault.
Anyone with information should call Hertfordshire police on 01707 354236 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.