Police appeal after attack on woman
DETECTIVES investigating a serious assault on a young woman in Royston are appealing for people who were in a pub nearby to contact them. The incident happened between 11.30pm on Saturday, October 28 and 1am on Sunday, October 29. The victim, a woman in
DETECTIVES investigating a serious assault on a young woman in Royston are appealing for people who were in a pub nearby to contact them.
The incident happened between 11.30pm on Saturday, October 28 and 1am on Sunday, October 29.
The victim, a woman in her 20s from Royston, was walking along Melbourn Street through the Manor House car park when she was approached from behind by a man who then sexually assaulted her.
Officers took to the streets at the weekend to speak to people in the hope of finding information to help with the investigation.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Inspector Melanie Burn said: "We are hoping to jog people's memories about where they were around the time of the incident. My officers are following up some leads.
"This was an attack on a woman who was walking home alone late at night. We are keen to hear from anyone who saw a man matching the description of the attacker just before 11.30pm, or a distressed woman walking from the car park up Dog Kennel Lane.
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 3 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 4 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 5 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 6 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Wildlife enthusiast wins photographic society's 'print of the year'
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
"We are also appealing for anyone who was in The Old Post Office public house between 4.30pm on Saturday, October 28 and 1am on Sunday, October 29 to come forward.
"I have no doubt that some of these people could have vital information, maybe without realising. We know that the victim was speaking to some people in the pub on the night in question, and are keen to hear from anyone who may have spoken to her or seen her."
The victim was wearing a mint coloured vest top with a white vest underneath and light blue jeans.
The attacker was a white male, aged 35-40, of stocky build, with short or just shaven hair.
He appeared clean shaven, had a southern accent and was wearing a jacket and jeans.
It is also possible that he sustained a scratch on his face during the assault.
Anyone with information should call Hertfordshire police on 01707 354236 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.