Plastic bottle recycling rises 389 per cent
THE AMOUNT of plastic bottles recycled in South Cambridgeshire has rocketed. Since kerbside recycling of bottles was introduced by South Cambridgeshire District Council in October, 92.47 tonnes of plastic bottles have been recycled. The figures represent
THE AMOUNT of plastic bottles recycled in South Cambridgeshire has rocketed.
Since kerbside recycling of bottles was introduced by South Cambridgeshire District Council in October, 92.47 tonnes of plastic bottles have been recycled.
The figures represent a 389 per cent increase compared to the same period last year, when 23.75 tonnes of plastic bottles were collected from local recycling banks.
Cllr Sue Ellington, environmental services portfolio holder at the district council, said: "We're thrilled that households are making such good use of the new plastic bottle collections. It's also great to see the knock-on effect of increased recycling of other materials, reducing still further the amount of waste that South Cambridgeshire sends to landfill.
You may also want to watch:
"We've put a lot of effort into delivering the new collections on time and on budget and it's fantastic to see that effort paying off. South Cambridgeshire has one of the best recycling rates in the country and that's down to the dedication of our residents and the hard work of our staff. "
Residents are also recycling more tins, cans and glass. In the first six weeks of the expanded scheme the amount of tins and cans collected increased by 8.63 per cent and glass by 5.85 per cent when compared to the same period last year.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 9 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 10 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford