Plans to build North Herts Memorial near Hitchin given seal of approval
- Credit: Archant
Plans to build a crematorium and memorial park near Hitchin have been approved by North Herts District Council.
Applicants Memoria believe that the North Herts Memorial Park – which would be built on land west of Bedford Road by the restored landfill site – would provide a much-needed burial and remembrance service for people living in North Hertfordshire.
At present, people in North Herts have a choice of crematoria at Harwood Park in Stevenage, or further afield in Bedford, Cambridge or Luton.
The grounds of North Herts Memorial Park would hold a single-storey chapel, a memorial garden, a 100-space car park, a burial area and a variety of landscaping features – all of which would not be in view of surrounding houses.
Councillor David Levett, who is responsible for planning at the district council, said: “Construction of a crematorium in Holwell together with associated car parking, access road, gardens of remembrance and areas for burials was approved subject to planning conditions.
“The planning committee agreed that the justification for the community facility had been soundly made.
“Although there were concerns raised about highway matters and the impact on the adjacent footpath, these matters will be addressed by improving the width to the site’s access road and the provision of a right hand turn facility on Bedford Road.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
“The committee also asked officers to write to Hertfordshire County Council to request the Highway Authority consider speed reductions along the A600 in the vicinity of the site and increase the maintenance of the public footpath close to the site.”
The district council are also still considering the feasibility of providing a crematorium at the site of the existing cemetery at Wilbury Hills.