Plans for 199 homes and a care home in Melbourn approved after successful appeal by developers
PUBLISHED: 09:22 12 August 2016 | UPDATED: 09:45 12 August 2016
Following an appeal by developers, an outline planning application which was previously rejected for 199 new homes and a 75-bed care home on the land to the east of New Road, Melbourn, has been approved.
The fight against the development led by a community group came to an end on Monday, when planning inspector Colin Ball gave his verdict to overturn the district council’s original decision and approve Endurance Estates’ application.
District councillor Jose Hales said: “It’s been a three and a half year fight for us as a community and a team. There were leaflets, public meetings, posters, conversations and meetings with statutory authorities such as water, sewage, health, education, highways.
“Despite the best efforts of the team, we were ultimately let down in the inspector’s final analysis and weighting, by the lack of an approved South Cambs District Council five-year land supply.
“However, we were pleased to hear that the ‘199 Team’ had managed to significantly change the outcome of the original application to the benefit of the village by challenging on every front.”
A different scheme evolved during the appeal process, with both lower densities and heights earmarked for the edge of the site and better guarantees about the landscaping buffer in light of local concerns.
Councillor Robert Turner, responsible for planning at South Cambs District Council, said: “The inspector has said money from development will be paid to improve the local facilities and their decision to overturn our refusal is final.
“We remain committed to assessing all applications on their merits against the appropriate planning policies.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the orange box above for details.