Phone masts going up despite objections
PHONE masts are set to be erected in Royston despite objections from local residents and the town council. Last month, members of the Templar s Gate residents group lodged a formal objection to plans, submitted to North Herts District Council by mobile n
PHONE masts are set to be erected in Royston despite objections from local residents and the town council.
Last month, members of the Templar's Gate residents group lodged a formal objection to plans, submitted to North Herts District Council by mobile network Vodafone, to put 3G phone masts on street lights just off Melbourn Road.
At Monday's meeting of the Royston town council planning committee, Cllr Lynn Berry, chairman of the committee reported that the town council would oppose the plans too.
She said: "Although the proposed masts comply with the required safety standards, we came to the conclusion that we were unable to support the plans because of the perceived dangers."
However, town clerk Susan Thornton-Bjork said she had been informed by the district council that it will not block the construction of mobile phone masts on health grounds.
She said: "They will only object if there is a valid planning reason for not wanting them."
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 4 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 5 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 6 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
Cllr Robert Smith, who is chairman of the Templar's Gate residents group, said he was "somewhat concerned" that the scheme was going ahead.
And Cllr Margeurite Phillips said: "The jury is still out on this one. We don't know if there are any long term dangers."
However, Cllr Paul Grimes said: "The mobile phone company wouldn't have built there if customers locally didn't want it, these phone masts cost about �60,000 to put up and they wouldn't waste that money.
"We don't want Royston to become a little backwater where people can't get phone coverage.