People of Royston urged to have their say on development of almost 1,000 homes
- Credit: Archant
The people of Royston are being urged to have their say on the development of almost 1,000 homes in the area after councillors voted to move their Preferred Options to the consultation stage last week.
Hundreds attended North Herts District Council’s Local Plan meeting – which saw loud protests from Baldock and Letchworth campaigners as councillors arrived.
The draft plan sets out the district’s housing requirements until 2031 – which currently stands at 12,100 homes.
Eight sites are allocated in Royston with an estimated 973 homes still to be built.
The largest of these are 311 homes on land west of Ivy Farm on Baldock Road, 300 dwellings at land north of Newmarket Road, 124 homes off Burns Road and 100 homes north of Lindsay Close.
You may also want to watch:
NHDC councillor for planning and enterprise David Levett gave a presentation on the process of the Preferred Options of the Local Plan on the night.
He said: “Each housing site has been comprehensively assessed for suitability and availability. A huge amount of background information has gone into this plan – it is not a five minute whim.”
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
“We’ve got to start somewhere and we need something out there that people can respond to. Nothing is set in stone at this stage. This is not a done deal and we do listen.
“We need to get this draft plan moving now. We should’ve done it two years ago. Figures could go up again in two years.”
NHDC district and county councillor for Royston Fiona Hill said: “The decision taken at full council means that the process now goes to full consultation. I would encourage everyone to participate.
“All sites put forward have been investigated fully and those which meet the criteria have had to be included in the Preferred Options document.”
Mr Levett will be attending the next meeting of Royston and District Committee on Wednesday and will be explaining the process again and answering questions.
The results of the consultation period – which runs from December 18 to February 6 – will be fed into the next version of the Local Plan.