Pensioner seriously hurt in road accident
A ROYSTON man was in a critical but stable condition in hospital yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon after a road accident in the town last Thursday. John Salkield, 79, of Newmarket Road, was in collision with a silver Toyota Rav 4x4 outside the Manor House c
A ROYSTON man was in a critical but stable condition in hospital yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon after a road accident in the town last Thursday.
John Salkield, 79, of Newmarket Road, was in collision with a silver Toyota Rav 4x4 outside the Manor House car park off Melbourn Street, at about 4.25pm.
Mr Salkield was taken to the Lister Hospital in Stevenage after suffering serious head and chest injuries.
The driver of the 4x4 was uninjured.
Melbourn Street was closed for three hours and diversions were put in place as police collected evidence and removed the 4x4.
Mr Salkield is a former treasurer of Royston Parish Church and a member of Royston Bridge Club.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 4 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 5 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 8 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
Anyone who may have witnessed the collision is urged to call Hertfordshire Police on 0845 333 00222 and quote reference number URN 706/19.