Parts of Royston play area destroyed in act of ‘mindless vandalism’
- Credit: Archant
Parts of a Royston play area have been destroyed in an act of ‘mindless vandalism’.
North Herts Distict Council has condemned the ‘thoughtless actions’ of those who ripped up part of the rubber ground surface at the Serby Avenue play area over the weekend.
The area has now been fenced off by the district council’s grounds team and will only reopen once the surface has been repaired.
Councillor Jane Gray, executive member for leisure at the district council, said: “There is no excuse for this kind of selfish behaviour.
“Such thoughtless actions have an effect on those who use the park as well as the tax payer who ultimately ends up paying”.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this year vandals destroyed a newly-planted feature in Priory Gardens by pulling up the herbaceous borders which had been planted just three days previously.
This led to some town councillors calling for CCTV equipment to be installed to deter people from causing criminal damage.
- 1 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 2 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 Bins sealed shut and rat cull halted on Therfield Heath
- 6 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 7 Govia Thameslink makes £700,000 railway station accessibility improvements
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 10 Missing teen found safe and well
The police have been notified and anyone with information is asked to call the non-emergency number on 101.