Partner of Royston author Helen Bailey charged with her murder
- Credit: Archant
Ian Stewart – the partner of author Helen Bailey, whose body was found in the grounds of the couple’s Royston home – has been charged with her murder.
The 55-year-old, who shared a home with her in Baldock Road, was re-arrested on Friday – having been arrested and then bailed earlier in the week.
Ms Bailey, 51, was reported missing along with her dachshund dog Boris by Mr Stewart on April 14, three days after she had last been seen in public.
On the month anniversary of her disappearance on May 11, he released a statement to the press saying: “Helen, wherever you might be I hope you hear this message and listen carefully.
“We miss you and Boris so much. We are shattered in so many ways. Your mum, dad, John, Tracey, the lads and me plus so many others all need you.
You may also want to watch:
“You bring so much to so many people in ways you don’t even realise.”
Mr Stewart was also last night charged with perverting the course of justice after reporting Ms Bailey as missing to police, hiding her body and preventing lawful burial.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 10 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
A post-mortem is due to take place on Monday and specialist searches at her home are continuing.
Mr Stewart will appear before Hatfield Remand Court today (Saturday).
Helen’s family have asked for privacy at this time.
Ms Bailey met Mr Stewart – who is originally from Letchworth but had been living in Bassingbourn for more than 20 years, online in 2011 – and they had been living in Baldock Road, Royston, since 2013.