Partner of Royston author Helen Bailey charged with her murder
- Credit: Archant
Ian Stewart – the partner of author Helen Bailey, whose body was found in the grounds of the couple’s Royston home – has been charged with her murder.
The 55-year-old, who shared a home with her in Baldock Road, was re-arrested on Friday – having been arrested and then bailed earlier in the week.
Ms Bailey, 51, was reported missing along with her dachshund dog Boris by Mr Stewart on April 14, three days after she had last been seen in public.
On the month anniversary of her disappearance on May 11, he released a statement to the press saying: “Helen, wherever you might be I hope you hear this message and listen carefully.
“We miss you and Boris so much. We are shattered in so many ways. Your mum, dad, John, Tracey, the lads and me plus so many others all need you.
“You bring so much to so many people in ways you don’t even realise.”
Mr Stewart was also last night charged with perverting the course of justice after reporting Ms Bailey as missing to police, hiding her body and preventing lawful burial.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 9 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 10 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
A post-mortem is due to take place on Monday and specialist searches at her home are continuing.
Mr Stewart will appear before Hatfield Remand Court today (Saturday).
Helen’s family have asked for privacy at this time.
Ms Bailey met Mr Stewart – who is originally from Letchworth but had been living in Bassingbourn for more than 20 years, online in 2011 – and they had been living in Baldock Road, Royston, since 2013.