Parking misery on market square
AN ON-CALL nurse was late for an emergency after a parked car was blocking her, in the latest in a series of similar incidents to occur in the same car park.
Outside Market Hill, Royston, parking bay lines have faded, meaning cars are frequently blocked in.
The nurse went into Mica Hardware on Market Hill last Friday (15) to ask if anyone was blocking her, but no one in the shop was.
She then waited for half an hour, making her late for her appointment, before an incorrectly parked shopper returned to set her free.
Deidre Hayward, who works in Mica Hardware on Market Square and has reported the parking problem to the council, said: “The nurse was very distressed and there was nothing she could do about it. She was helpless and desperately had to be somewhere.
You may also want to watch:
“She ended up waiting here for ages before someone that was parked incorrectly came back and let her out.”
As well as the nurse, parents have been late picking their children up and people have missed medical appointments after cars parked in the wrong position prevented them from leaving.
- 1 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 5 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 6 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 7 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 8 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 9 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
“This has been going on for well over a year. I first told the council around 18 months ago when a mother came in here crying because she couldn’t pick her child up.
“It’s all because there are no lines on the tarmac, and people constantly block each other in,” said Mrs Hayward.
Judi Evelyn of Royston Complimentary Health Centre on Market Square, said: “I have never known anything like it. After 3pm when the parking is free people just park anywhere, and it’s impossible to get a proper spot.
“They are all over the yellow boxes, and people are always blocked in. It should be made much clearer.
An employee of Beautiful Balloons fancy dress shop, which is next door to Mica Hardware, said: “We get a constant series of cars out here that are blocking people in. There is no way of knowing where to park because of the lines.”
Cllr Tom Brindley North Herts District Council’s (NHDC) portfolio holder for Transport and Planning conformed the problem would soon be sorted. He said: “We would like to thank residents in Royston for bringing this matter to our attention.
“NHDC’s contracts and project manager is aware of the difficulties occurring in Market Hill car park in Royston. Our officers are currently in the process of requesting quotes from contractors to re-line Market Hill Car Park.
“We are hoping to be able to start the work before the end of the year, subject to appropriate permission being given from the land owner.”
Were you the nurse that was blocked in on Market Hill? Let The Crow know by ringing us on 01763 244977 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.