Parking charges plan could be rolled out to Royston
- Credit: Daniel Wilson
The councillor behind proposals to extend parking charges to include evenings and Sundays has said it could be rolled out across North Herts if a planned trial is successful.
Councillor Julian Cunningham, responsible for transport issues at North Herts District Council, said at a meeting last week that Hitchin had been put forward to test the scheme because of the amount of parking in the town but said further charges would be introduced at council-owned car parks across North Herts if it was a deemed a success.
If agreed, the proposals – which have led to a petition being launched which has so far gained more than 2,000 signatures – would see an overnight charge introduced from 6pm-8am, a Sunday charge, and increased daytime prices.
Mr Cunningham, who needs to raise 16.6 per cent income – equating to £240,000 – across the district from parking charges, said: “The reality of why Hitchin was chosen is all the figures we have show Hitchin has a significantly greater amount of parking than Baldock and Royston.
“If the Hitchin trial is successful, I give you my word it will be applied elsewhere.”
You may also want to watch:
The Hitchin trial was set to start next month until April 2015, but Mr Cunningham said he now didn’t expect any scheme to begin until January.
- 1 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 8 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 9 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Man seriously injured in three-car crash between Barley and Royston