Parking charge rise would be 'inappropriate'
AN INCREASE in car parking charges in Royston would be completely inappropriate , according to a councillor. The proposed North Herts District Council budget for 2009/10 includes the provision for £140,000 extra income from car parking compared to the bu
AN INCREASE in car parking charges in Royston would be "completely inappropriate", according to a councillor.
The proposed North Herts District Council budget for 2009/10 includes the provision for £140,000 extra income from car parking compared to the budget for 2008/09.
Cllr Peter Burt told last week's meeting of the district council's Royston area committee: "It would be completely inappropriate to increase car parking charges in Royston during a time of recession."
This view was shared by Cllr Fiona Hill, who said: "There is no way I could support money for this coming from Royston.
You may also want to watch:
"We are trying to get Royston back on its feet."
However, Barrie Jones, head of financial services at the district council, told the meeting: "The £141,000 will not necessarily be raised by increasing car parking charges. There are other incomes from car parks that we can look at.
- 1 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 5 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 9 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 10 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss