Parking charge rise would be 'inappropriate'
AN INCREASE in car parking charges in Royston would be completely inappropriate , according to a councillor. The proposed North Herts District Council budget for 2009/10 includes the provision for £140,000 extra income from car parking compared to the bu
AN INCREASE in car parking charges in Royston would be "completely inappropriate", according to a councillor.
The proposed North Herts District Council budget for 2009/10 includes the provision for £140,000 extra income from car parking compared to the budget for 2008/09.
Cllr Peter Burt told last week's meeting of the district council's Royston area committee: "It would be completely inappropriate to increase car parking charges in Royston during a time of recession."
This view was shared by Cllr Fiona Hill, who said: "There is no way I could support money for this coming from Royston.
You may also want to watch:
"We are trying to get Royston back on its feet."
However, Barrie Jones, head of financial services at the district council, told the meeting: "The £141,000 will not necessarily be raised by increasing car parking charges. There are other incomes from car parks that we can look at.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims