Parking charge rise would be 'inappropriate'
AN INCREASE in car parking charges in Royston would be completely inappropriate , according to a councillor. The proposed North Herts District Council budget for 2009/10 includes the provision for £140,000 extra income from car parking compared to the bu
AN INCREASE in car parking charges in Royston would be "completely inappropriate", according to a councillor.
The proposed North Herts District Council budget for 2009/10 includes the provision for £140,000 extra income from car parking compared to the budget for 2008/09.
Cllr Peter Burt told last week's meeting of the district council's Royston area committee: "It would be completely inappropriate to increase car parking charges in Royston during a time of recession."
This view was shared by Cllr Fiona Hill, who said: "There is no way I could support money for this coming from Royston.
"We are trying to get Royston back on its feet."
However, Barrie Jones, head of financial services at the district council, told the meeting: "The £141,000 will not necessarily be raised by increasing car parking charges. There are other incomes from car parks that we can look at.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 4 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 7 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 8 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure