Parish seeks an increase
A PARISH council wants to increase its number of elected members. Barrington Parish Council currently has seven members – but it now wants nine. Parish clerk Margaret Goding has told South Cambridgeshire District Council that there are insufficient coun
A PARISH council wants to increase its number of elected members.
Barrington Parish Council currently has seven members - but it now wants nine.
Parish clerk Margaret Goding has told South Cambridgeshire District Council that there are "insufficient councillors to cover the many responsibilties which face the village".
She said that too many responsibilities of the parish council are devolved to the parish council chairman and the parish clerk.
You may also want to watch:
She pointed out, too, that neighbouring villages such as Orwell, Foxton and Melbourn had nine members while Haslingfield has 11.
In a report to the district council's electoral arrangements committee it says that there should be a review of the situation in Barrington.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
This is expected to see a consulatation period with "interested parties".
The report continued that an increase in parish councillors would mean the "significant workload burden" would be eased and could help to increase the possibility of representation across the parish.
The district council said there was no "rule of thumb" on the number of members who sit on a parish council although seven is recommended by the National Association of Local Councils for "good administration".