Parish seeks an increase
A PARISH council wants to increase its number of elected members. Barrington Parish Council currently has seven members – but it now wants nine. Parish clerk Margaret Goding has told South Cambridgeshire District Council that there are insufficient coun
A PARISH council wants to increase its number of elected members.
Barrington Parish Council currently has seven members - but it now wants nine.
Parish clerk Margaret Goding has told South Cambridgeshire District Council that there are "insufficient councillors to cover the many responsibilties which face the village".
She said that too many responsibilities of the parish council are devolved to the parish council chairman and the parish clerk.
You may also want to watch:
She pointed out, too, that neighbouring villages such as Orwell, Foxton and Melbourn had nine members while Haslingfield has 11.
In a report to the district council's electoral arrangements committee it says that there should be a review of the situation in Barrington.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 5 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 9 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 10 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
This is expected to see a consulatation period with "interested parties".
The report continued that an increase in parish councillors would mean the "significant workload burden" would be eased and could help to increase the possibility of representation across the parish.
The district council said there was no "rule of thumb" on the number of members who sit on a parish council although seven is recommended by the National Association of Local Councils for "good administration".