Outgoing South Cambs District Council chairman’s joy at raising £5,000 for new sponsored guide dog
- Credit: Archant
The Outgoing South Cambs District Council chairman completed two years in office on Thursday last week by announcing that £5,000 has been raised for a good cause.
Councillor Sue Ellington said the cash will buy and train an assistance dog for her chosen charity Dogs for Good.
Mrs Ellington said: “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as chairman, meeting so many people across our wonderful district. It has been a pleasure and an honour to represent this council.
“I’m thrilled at how much money we have raised in my tenure thanks to the generosity of council staff and members. It has been great to see so many people getting involved in our fundraising activities and taking so much enjoyment from watching puppy Hope grow into a fully-fledged assistance dog.”
The money was raised through a variety of charity events, including cake sales, quizzes and raffles.
You may also want to watch:
assingbourn ward councillor David McCraith has been elected new chairman for 2017/18 with Councillor Brian Burling elected as vice chairman.
Mr McCraith has chosen Cambridge & District Citizens Advice, Cambs and Beds Macmillan, and Air Training Corps 2484 (Bassingbourn) Squadron and (Cambourne) Detached Flight as his nominated charities.
- 1 MP calls for illegal parking clamp-down, as council makes civil enforcement plans
- 2 Sunset Starlight Walk returning after year of cancelled events for hospice
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Police force welcomes plans for council to tackle parking woes
- 5 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 6 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 7 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 8 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 9 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable