‘Our thoughts are with crash victim’s family and friends’ – Hertfordshire fire chief speaks after pedestrian dies in Royston fire engine collision
- Credit: Archant
The chief fire officer for Hertfordshire has spoken about last night’s ‘tragic incident’ in Royston which saw a pedestrian killed after a collision with an on-duty fire engine, and said that the service’s thoughts are with the family and friends of the person who died.
Roy Wilsher, who heads up the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, has released a statement after an engine from Royston Fire Station crashed and overturned at about 8.45pm at the Old North Road roundabout as it was turning into Burns Road – in response to reports of a house fire elsewhere in the town.
The pedestrian, who has not yet been identified, sadly died at the scene and their next of kin have now been informed.
“This is a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the member of the public who sadly died at the scene,” said Mr Wilsher. “Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is working with the police to establish exactly what happened and why.”
Two firefighters were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge for precautionary checks, and a fire service spokesman has confirmed that another engine attended the house blaze and quickly dealt with the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Police – who put road closures in place overnight – have launched an investigation into the fatal collision and anyone with information is asked to call 101.
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 4 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 5 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys visits Cambridge on BBC Two this week
- 9 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 10 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate